Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcoFogale
Frequent Visitor

Tooltip not showing all lines data

Hello everyone,

I have a silly problem and I can't figure out how to solve it.

I must recreate a line chart that exist in a Power BI deskop file that an ex colleague did. When overing with the mouse, the tooltip shows all the points like this: 

tooltip 1.PNG

and this is exactly what I need to obtain. 

Now when I create exactly the same chart in a new PBI desktop file, the same tooltip showes like this:

Tooltip 2.PNG

I can't figure out what make it appear differently. The configuration of the visual is exactly the same, and it was not a custom tooltip.

Any idea ? 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry I couldn't answer before ! I found a solution, even though for me the reason of this behavior is still not clear. It's not a matter of version of Power BI or whatsoever. And I didn't ask for custom tooltips, I just wanted to recreate the standard one, as showed in the picture, and as you can see on your example too... 

I could eventually do it by toggling off the "High density sampling" option, on the general settings panel:

Capture.PNG 

I read the Microsoft documentation and within the considerations and limitations of this feature, they said: "Because of increased granularity and the binning process, Tooltips may only show a value if the representative data is aligned with your cursor. "

This is exactly why the standard tooltips showed up differently.

Thank you everyone for your help

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarcoFogale ,

I can't reproduce your issue. Everything is normal, just like the first picture. What version of pbi desktop are you using? Could you share a pbix (Use virtual data)and create a line chart?

Vlianlmsft_0-1642141806965.png

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-... 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry I couldn't answer before ! I found a solution, even though for me the reason of this behavior is still not clear. It's not a matter of version of Power BI or whatsoever. And I didn't ask for custom tooltips, I just wanted to recreate the standard one, as showed in the picture, and as you can see on your example too... 

I could eventually do it by toggling off the "High density sampling" option, on the general settings panel:

Capture.PNG 

I read the Microsoft documentation and within the considerations and limitations of this feature, they said: "Because of increased granularity and the binning process, Tooltips may only show a value if the representative data is aligned with your cursor. "

This is exactly why the standard tooltips showed up differently.

Thank you everyone for your help

Go to tooltip page > Format Page > Format Icon > Canvas settings > Type: Custom > Increase the height (up to 420 px?)Custom toolip.jpg

BOE Custom Tooltip.jpg

Mayank_Yavda
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @MarcoFogale,

Here is Area chart with custom tooltip which will help you to get custom tooltip for each area value.

Area chart with custom tooltip, PBIVizEdit.comArea chart with custom tooltip, PBIVizEdit.comcustom tooltip for area chart, PBIVizEdit.comcustom tooltip for area chart, PBIVizEdit.com

Download link for the custom visual file in this page,

https://pbivizedit.com/gallery/area-chart-with-custom-tooltip 

This was made with our Custom Visual creator tool PBIVizEdit.com. With this tool,

• anyone, irrespective of technical skills, can create their own visuals
  • 15 minutes to create a visual from scratch
  • opens up many additional attributes to edit (for e.g. labels, tooltips, legends position, etc)

Give this a shot and let us know if you face any problem/errors.
You can use the editor to modify your visual further (some modifications cannot be done in Power BI window and have to be in editor).

Thanks,
Team PBIVizEdit

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MarcoFogale , I think the year is a legend, and that is why this kind of tooltip.

You can create a tooltip page , with [Keep all filters - off] , pass only axis value - add that to > add drill/tooltip value here 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.