Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sp8
Helper II
Helper II

The index is outside the bounds of the record error/bug

Hi.

I have a bunch of files that worked great before and recently have started giving me the error: The index is outside the bounds of the record. Details: Record=[Record] Index=-1.

When the source is Import (Sharepoint), I can add an index column before the step that gives the error and then delete the index column after the step and everythign works ok.

In general though, the source is SAP Hana direct query. You can't add an index column to a direct query without swtiching it to import. I can't switch to import for a variety of reasons including the quantity of data.

I have seen this on my computer as well as others' computers when opening the same desktop file. Person A has the issue with table A but not table B. Person B has the issue with table B and not table A, so it's not entirely consistent and seems like a bug.

I have one example shown below. I used all lowercase letters for the new column name and it doesn't match any other column name anywhere else in the table or file. (I saw another person who got this error related to capital letters or repeat column names.)

sp8_0-1658821086562.png

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it for DQ when import isn't an option?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
roshanrokaya420

Hey @sp8,

Could you find the solution to this issue?

braddo81
Helper II
Helper II

we just upgraded to September 2022 version of report server, and now getting report refresh errors

any solution to resolve?

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sp8 ,

Has anyone made any changes to the relevant report recently? In order to see if the error is caused by the operation of column [Material], could you please provide some data of this column to do a troubleshooting? There may be various reasons for this error, please check the following posts with similar problems to yours, and hope the solutions can help you.

Help with Power Query Error - The Index is outside the bounds of the record

The problem occurs when the table from which we import data into the power query has at least integrity constraints with the dictionary table. When there is one connection, there is no problem. Therefore, you need to delete unnecessary connections in MS ACCESS without creating a new indexing column. Best wishes.

Fix Power Bi expression.errors in Windows 10/11

1. The error, although not specific indicates that the file is outside the bounds of record.
  2. It usually means you have used characters that are not allowed. Check your table for column names that have any special character or upper case letters.

"Index was outside the bounds of the array" error when importing data using Power BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I checked both of those. That's why I changed the names of the columns and made them lower case and without spaces.

They don't help. Any other ideas?

More information about the data:

The data is coming in from SAP Hana. The original [Material] column is a text field containing part numbers that are in a format such as 1234-123 or 1234567-123. I'm trying to create a custom column that replaces the "-123" with "-*". I can do it via DAX with no problems, but want to do it via the Power Query as this is going to be my column that a relationship is based on.

AFJDK
Regular Visitor

Having exact same issue with exact same data source, so relieving to see a post on this.  Just started on a variety of tables/dashboards maybe 1-2 weeks ago.  Looks like performing any steps on the table throws the error whereas those same steps worked fine during refresh prior in some cases for years.  Would appreciate any insights...

Could you find the solution to this issue?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sp8 , Check if Text.Start Creating a problem ?  reduce from 7  to 1 and check

Check the name Material should match exactly in case

That didn't do anything.

No. There are multiple different manipulations that cause the same error. This was just one example. And changing it to 1 from 7 did nothing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.