Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DIFF1
Helper II
Helper II

Subscription. Send email only if data changes

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to find information online is there is a way to create a subscription of report so that email gets sent only if data in the email changes. My report is static and doesn't change much and I want team to get notified only if the data does change. 

Does someone know if that is even possible in PowerBI?

Please let me know. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DIFF1 ,

Subscription is the wrong approach as it doesn't trigger from a dataset refresh.  API based refresh requests allow you to specify when mails should be sent (default is on failure only but you can also choose to send on any completion)

Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

You can also monitor refresh status with Power Automate and upon completion send a mail to a distribution list

Datasets - Get Refresh History In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DIFF1 ,

Subscription is the wrong approach as it doesn't trigger from a dataset refresh.  API based refresh requests allow you to specify when mails should be sent (default is on failure only but you can also choose to send on any completion)

Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

You can also monitor refresh status with Power Automate and upon completion send a mail to a distribution list

Datasets - Get Refresh History In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Lucien

DIFF1
Helper II
Helper II

Hello @Shaurya thank you very much for your response. I watched the video and it says that the alerts are available in dashboards. I don't have a dashboard, just a report published in the app. 

I don't have a bell icon to set up an alert. 

Does it mean I cannot have those alerts?

DIFF1_1-1668177127256.png

Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @DIFF1,

Yes it is possible. In fact that is how the alerts work. Whenever data changes in your report it checks for the alerts set and sends it to email accordingly. You can read more about it here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-set-data-alerts#receiving-alerts

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution if I did!
Check out this blog of mine: How to Export Telemetry Data from Azure IoT Central into Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.