Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LeahS
Frequent Visitor

Slicer problems

Hi,

I'm trying to use a slicer for names on my report in the desktop version.  I have a relationship set up with the info table and both data tables on "names."  I used the format of First Name Last Initial with a "." Example, Leah S.  However, when I create a slicer of the names column, it doesn't filter the other graphs just shows blanks.  The other graphs are built using "count" since the data is the string type.  Does anyone know why my slicer isn't working and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Leah

6 REPLIES 6
LeahS
Frequent Visitor

I ended up deleting those three tables from my model and then reloading them back in.  Now the slicers work fine.  Not sure what happened the first time.  Thanks for all of your help!

It's great to hear that you were able to figure things out; please mark the answer with what helped you as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

LeahS
Frequent Visitor

Here is the relationships in my table.  I tried what you suggested by creating a measure, but when I click on a name in the slicer, the card still shows "Blank" even though I know that staff has some call outs.

LeahS_0-1690395316260.png

Hi @LeahS 

Did you downloaded the file ? 

You can follow my steps and see exacly how it works...

If it is not working in the same way on your model may be there are other problems.

Please attach dummy pbix and i will look at it 

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @LeahS 

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

I'm trying to make a card that will show how many call outs.  It starts with all of them, but when I apply the name slicer, I want it to go down to just the number of call outs for that staff member.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.