Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing multiple column values on one row

I have rows that contain arrays of data.  I know I can create a drilldown in a Matrix, but that becomes unreadable as there a many different column arrays and the arrays do not have set numbers of items.  I only need a rendition of the data in my visual:

ProjectNameProgrammersStart DatePrograms
Proj1AcctBob5/1/2019Enter
  Dave Modify
    Delete
Proj2InventoryJill10/1/2019Enter
  Susan Modify
  Dave Delete
    Print

Even if I separate the arrays into their own table, I still can only show one or I get an error if I try to create a LOOKUPVALUE on the table.  Any ideas on how to do this.

Note: these arrays come from [LIST] to [Record].

Thanks,

David

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not sure if I understood your question correctly. Can you share sample data and expected output?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to this.  There is a relationship between the tables using Project.  I am using Power BI Desktop Aug 2018 due to server constraints.  I am attaching my tables and expected output.  I know I can expand the [Record] column, but that gives me duplicate records and I would like to avoid that or find a better way.  The Programmer column was originally a [Record] in the project table, but I moved it to it's own table.  I'm looking for advice and wisdom.  🙂

Tables.JPG

Thanks,

David

Hi @Anonymous 

The least I can  do on your scenario is something like this:

2019_11_06_17_30_35_Untitled_Power_BI_Desktop.png

This is to avoid the duplicates that you don't want.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKzzJU0lFyTE4uAVKm+ob6RgaGlkCma15JapFSrA4+Nb75KZlplQQUuaTmpJakwhUZAYU888pS80ryiyqBbEMDXHbiU4lmMz6lJNgfUJSZV6IUGwsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, Name = _t, #"Start Date" = _t, Programs = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Name", type text}, {"Start Date", type date}, {"Programs", type text}}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Programs", "Programs - Copy"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Duplicated Column", List.Distinct(#"Duplicated Column"[Programs]), "Programs", "Programs - Copy"),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Enter", "Modify", "Delete", "Print"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(", ", QuoteStyle.None),"Programs")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you're doing there, but unfortunately, the data I supplied is only "test" data.  In the live data I have multiple fields like "Programs" and "Programmer".  And the "Programs" is a free form field.  Although I think I could use what you have if you can share the visual you used and it's settings, please.

Thanks,

David

It is a MATRIX VISUAL. You can find it near the table visual. The only setting of he matrix that I changed is under the Row Values and I turned off the Stepped Layout.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.