Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
830 REPLIES 830

Thank you for linking, I was wondering the same thing!

gavinphdata
Frequent Visitor

Not sure if this is helpful feedback but in general not a huge fan at all of the new feature - it drastically reduces the speed of development. 
If however the plan is to keep it please make it an option and create the ability to pin the different views (selection/bookmark/data/format etc) so that we can see multiple of them at a time.

I ran into an issue today where I was trying to update 2 bookmarks with selected visuals only and it was extremely difficult because I didnt have the ability to select the visuals within a group in the selection view and needed to do it on the cavnas view instead.

Happy to meet and show you how this worked/the impact it had. 

I'm doubling back to this post to try and plea with the Microsoft team to completey abandon this idea, or at least have the ability to turn it off. I appreciate innovation and progresss but this is just truly terrible and there appears to be consensus as there isn't a single bit of positive feedback here. 

I understand that this may have cost the product team considerable time and money but that isn't a reason to propagate bad ideas or ideas that just didn't work. 

Delete it.  

The first thing I noticed as well in a very similar scenario!

You can get the top-level panes to display next to each other, but it requires additional clicks (not good UI) to access the 'feature', as shown below:

D_M_0-1682588411915.png

The problem I have with this new 'option' is that it's not a default setting we can at least control (in terms of the general UI behaviour), and if you've set up all of your panes and then accidentally click on the wrong object/icon, it will immediately revert back to single pane only (save the Filter).

If we could implement the 'Open in new pane' item as a permanent preference in the main settings (or in any way that would make it permanent/persistent in the application generally), that would go a long way to solving multiple issues with this new UI concept, but currently it feels like a somewhat fragile/temporary workaround rather than a robust option.

jimbob2285
Advocate II
Advocate II

It feels like the feedback can be split into two distinct areas:

1) The functionality of the new feature

2) The original functionality that's been removed while it's turned on

Turning on the new feature shoud retain all the original functionality as well, so that it adds to the user experience, rather than just changing it... It seems that's why most people are turning it off as fast they're turning it on, without truely giving it a chance, because they prefer the old way... Which is quite normal... You might try mayo on your chips, but you'd still want a bit of ketchup.. at least the first few times

Knowing how users resist change, I did give it what I consider a decent try. I fought with it several days, forcing myself to explore and work with the new interface. In the end, I prefer the more efficient option (for me) of having all my desired panes open at once.

visheshjain
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @RosieL,

Been playing with the On-object Interaction for a while now and it breaks my heart to say that I am not a fan of the feature so far.

Having worked with PBI for over 6 years now, we have gotten used to the formatting pane being on the side and searching things in the pane itself.

I'd prefer having the flexibility to change the colors of the every data point, more or less like you can change the color of every cell in Excel.

Fomatting the table visual and matrix visual, still manages to be the most time consuming part of designing a dashboard.

Hoping to see the changes soon.

Thank you!

Vishesh Jain

Did I answer your question?
If yes, then please mark my post as a solution!

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Proud to be a Super User!

nelsonmartins

I like it... just one thing that i dont like is that options on the side of the object (like choose graphic) it stay over (in front) the DAX formula box when when you expand it. Probably a bug that will be fix... but ya just telling ;).... but i like it 

cmcquaid

After trying to work for hours with the position of the new visualization pane I turned it off. I'm fine with the panes icons in a veritical column, but build visualiztions and format should also stay visible as an icon to select on the right with the other icon selections, not next to the visualizations moving around as you add and re-size visualizations and trying to find it everytime I need it - wastes a lot time, easier to just go to the right and click on it.

hmaldo

I really do not like this change.  There are some nice things about it, but not being able to easily see the visual type when I click on an object like before is not great.  I also don't like the "on object" approach to adding/changing data in a visual.  It is going to take me forever to do what was quick to do before.  Please make this OPTIONAL and do not make it something that will be forced after preview.

I agree with making the fetaure OPTIONAL. Give users the choice.

TrevorC
Advocate I
Advocate I

Very interesting.

I really like that I can edit the formatting of items in a visual while on the visual. Very convenient.

Not sure if these were mentioned but I would like to see the following:

• A quicker way to minimize the panes. Currently, I have to right click then select a choice. I think that the icons similar to those used on an application would work well for this.
  • When a visual is selected on the canvas then the type should be highlighted in the ribbon.

Thank you for all the cool features that you folks keep adding.

One thing I just noticed is that it is more difficult to compare the configurations of differrent visuals with. I think the best aproach is to have the panes similar to the way they were and have the object editing functionality. 

I find the previous layout mor eintuitive. 

gcn
Frequent Visitor

I have the same feeling. Maybe it will be a better idea to store user preferences on show/hide panes and to have a behavior similar to the slicers where you don't need ctrl for multiple selection. It was frustrating when selecting one pane knocked down another pane.  

Zx2000
Advocate I
Advocate I

After a week with this feature - i dont like it. Can't see longer names when adding to fields. Nope! I wish an option for a 2nd screen and darkmode. This feature looks and feels like made by a person who has no experience with Power BI and UI design

jlimon
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have disabled it after testing it. I don't think "on-object interaction" should be a mandatory option and the user should be allowed to choose the current form or this new one.

WilliamHF
Advocate I
Advocate I

There's been a lot of negativity about this feature, and I don't disagree that yes, we need to be able to view simultaneous panes on the side just like before if we want to.

HOWEVER, let's not throw everything out the window. Much has been said about needing extra mouse clicks, needing to move the mouse further, etc. But some things are more efficient and intuitive with this feature.

Some examples:

• You are working on a graph and want to change the title. Without moving the mouse across the page, you click on the title and change it. Bingo! Intuitive and fast.
  • You have the format pane open, and are working on various parts of a graph. As you click the section on the graph you want to work on (axis, labels, colors) the format pane zips right to that section. This works as you move to other graphs as well.
  • You have a graph and want to turn on data labels. Without leaving the graph, you hit the paintbrush and turn them on. While you're at it you can turn off the Y-axis as well. No scrolling on the format pane to find the on/off toggles. Just a few fast checkboxes. Sweet!

So, while I agree with the need to return the panes, allowing us to drag and drop measures as before if we wish to, I would be sad to see some of these design elements go. PowerBI is notoriously less customizable than Excel, and part of that involves not being able to select individual objects on the graph. While this still doesn't allow us to, say, format a single data label in a specific color like you can in Excel, it's at least a step in the right direction.

I think On-Object has it's flaws and will need further tweaking, but that's the point of beta. The PowerBI team may not have hit a homer on the first swing, but neither have they struck out.

William

Check out Guy in a Cube on YouTube, he runs through how to get the panes back to the former layout while still utlizing the new feature.

https://youtu.be/xL6DvHYjBVs

Doesn't seem to work for the data pane. At least I can't make it show my measures already selected, or drop new ones in

THANK YOU!!!! Right click on the icon for a pane that you are NOT on and select "Open in new pane". 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.