Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anoonymous
Helper I
Helper I

Running total with value of previous month if next value does not exist

Hello guys, 

This is what problem looks like:

anoonymous_0-1667390360381.png

As you can see running Total does not calculate the value of the column "PreviousValue".

For that I am using a measure, that helps to fill my missing value with the previous one. (Septemeber value == august value):

PreviousValue = 
VAR _actualOrder = SELECTEDVALUE('Datetable'[Order])
VAR _mspOrder =
    CALCULATE ( MAX('Table'[Order]), ALLSELECTED ('Table'))
VAR _maxdate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[Data] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ) )
VAR _month =
    MONTH ( _maxdate )
VAR _lastvalue =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[value] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            YEAR ( 'Table'[Data] ) = YEAR ( _maxdate )
                && MONTH ( 'Table'[Data] ) = _month
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( _actualOrder <= _mspOrder, SUM ( 'Table'[value] ), _lastvalue )

I already have a code for running total and it would be perfect if the solution is based on that code:

MinDate = Date(SELECTEDVALUE(Datetable[GJ]),3,1)

RunningTotal=
VAR minDate = [MinDate]

return 
   CALCULATE (
        SUM('Table'[value]),
     FILTER (
            ALL ('Table'),
            'Table'[Data] >= minDate
                &&'Table'[Data] <= MAX ( 'Table'[Data])), FILTER (
            ALL ('Table'),
            'Table'[Order] <= MAX ( 'Table'[Order])))

I am sadly not able to add an file so I am giving you guys all the information here (Maybe someone can tell me how, so I can post it here)

Tables I am using:

OrderMonth (Running Total has to work between the first day of march and the last day of february (next year)

Because of that I created an order Table:

anoonymous_2-1667390713763.png

Table: 

(As you can see, there is not data for september, october etc.)

anoonymous_3-1667390847864.png

Datetable:

anoonymous_4-1667390959703.png

I can give you to sourcecode: 

let
	 Source = #date(2013, 1, 1), 
	 #"add dates until today" = List.Dates(Source, Number.From(DateTime.LocalNow())+0- Number.From(Source), #duration(1,0,0,0)), 
	 #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(#"add dates until today", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), 
	 #"Renamed Column Date" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Datum"}}), 
	 #"Changed Type of Column Date" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Column Date",{{"Datum", type date}}),
    #"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type of Column Date", "Jahr", each Date.Year([Datum])),
    #"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte" = Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte3", "GJ", each if [Datum] <> null then (if Date.Month([Datum])  then Date.Year([Datum])-1 else Date.Year([Datum])) else null),
    #"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "Monatsname", each Date.MonthName([Datum])),
    #"Geänderter Typ" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte1",{{"GJ", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Zusammengeführte Abfragen" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Geänderter Typ", {"Monatsname"}, OrderMonth, {"Monate"}, "OrderMonth", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Erweiterte OrderMonth" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Zusammengeführte Abfragen", "OrderMonth", {"Order"}, {"OrderMonth.Order"}),
    #"Umbenannte Spalten" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Erweiterte OrderMonth",{{"OrderMonth.Order", "Order"}, {"Monatsname", "Monathname"}, {"Datum", "Date"}})
in
    #"Umbenannte Spalten"

Relationshipmodel: 

anoonymous_1-1667390688506.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @anoonymous 

You can try the following methods.

PreviousValue = 
VAR _a = SUM('Table'[Value])
Var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Order]=MAXX(ALL('Table'),[Order])))
return IF(ISBLANK(_a),_b,_a)

vzhangti_0-1667458015389.png

RunningTotal = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(OrderMonth),[Order]<=SELECTEDVALUE(OrderMonth[Order])),[PreviousValue])
RunningTotal 2 = 
Var _N1=SUM('Table'[Value])
Var _N2=SUMX(FILTER(ALL(OrderMonth),[Order]<=SELECTEDVALUE(OrderMonth[Order])),[PreviousValue])
Var _N3=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),ALL('Table'))
Return
IF(ISBLANK(_N1),_N3,_N2)

vzhangti_2-1667458435448.png

Is this the result you expect?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @anoonymous 

You can try the following methods.

PreviousValue = 
VAR _a = SUM('Table'[Value])
Var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Order]=MAXX(ALL('Table'),[Order])))
return IF(ISBLANK(_a),_b,_a)

vzhangti_0-1667458015389.png

RunningTotal = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(OrderMonth),[Order]<=SELECTEDVALUE(OrderMonth[Order])),[PreviousValue])
RunningTotal 2 = 
Var _N1=SUM('Table'[Value])
Var _N2=SUMX(FILTER(ALL(OrderMonth),[Order]<=SELECTEDVALUE(OrderMonth[Order])),[PreviousValue])
Var _N3=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),ALL('Table'))
Return
IF(ISBLANK(_N1),_N3,_N2)

vzhangti_2-1667458435448.png

Is this the result you expect?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I know this is marked as solved but a problem came up.

As you can see some values don't have a "date" so previousMonth = the value where month is null and running total is starting right there and not march..

I hope I was able to make it clear...

Thank you so so so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.