Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rawiswarden
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query Errors

Hello,

I am trying to merge two queries in Power Query.  For some reason, when I click from query to query I see a yellow triangle with an exclamation in the majority of my queries.  When I click any of the queries with the error, the results load and error disappears.  But when I click to the next query, the error occurs again in that prior query preventing me from doing anything with those queries.  I have no idea where to even check to see what the error message is.  Any help?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having an identical issue. Did you find a solution?

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rawiswarden,

Could you please provide the screenshot of queries with exclamation? Is there any error message or information? In addition, can you please explain all the operations what you have done in Power BI desktop ? It should include how you connect to the data source (data source type? single or multiple data sources ? connection mode?), and the operations performed in the Power Query Editor etc. 

Before providing the above information, please try to complete the following operations to see if it can solve your problem...

1. Check the data source setting (Edit Queries --> Data source settings --> Edit Permissions OR Clear Permission and re-configure it)

data source setting.png

edit permission.jpg

2. Check if there is any syntax error for the queries with exclamation(View --> Advanced Editor in Power Query Editor)

advanced editor.png

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, I believe the issue was I was attempting to edit a query that was merged into other queries.  Where could I confirm this is the case?  Surely there must be some error that goes with the visual indication somewhere

@rawiswarden wrote:

Hello, I believe the issue was I was attempting to edit a query that was merged into other queries.  Where could I confirm this is the case?  Surely there must be some error that goes with the visual indication somewhere

I think this was the issue.  I don't recall how I solved it - I probably removed the merge in the data flow and just merged the data in Power BI data model instead.

Hi @rawiswarden

Because it is not clear what data source information you used in the report and what operations you have done , I was not able to locate the problem well. Anyway, please try to check if the steps applied for each query are correct or not? Is there any error similar to the below screenshot ? You can refer to the contents of below two links to make troubleshooting and try to find solution.

https://exceloffthegrid.com/power-query-common-errors/

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2018/03/26/query-error-auditing-in-power-query-for-excel-and-power-b...

power query issue.jpg 

In additional, you can enable Power BI desktop trace log(File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing), repeat merge queries  step to reproduce the issue and check if there is any detail error information in the trace log file. You can refer to this blog.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.