Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wgarn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Desktop Installation error - code 2330

I have attempted to install the latest PBI Desktop (x64) release, but get the error code 2330.

PBI error code 2330PBI error code 2330

According to the Error message explanations this means there is an error getting file attributes. Moreover, it must be an issue with the previous installation, because uninstalling (via Add or remove programs) of the old version leads to exactly the same error. Renaming the old "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" folder does not help; installation in a new folder does not work either. So, my guess is, that there is something in the registry that prevents the install/uninstall of PBI. Any ideas?

How can I uninstall the previous version?

How can I install the new version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@wgarn,

There are two methods for you uninstalling previous Power BI Desktop.

1. Install  Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on your machine, then  use it to remove all the directories related to Power BI.
2. Manually delete all the files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin Directory. Open regedit and go to following keys one by one, then look for every Power BI Desktop entry and delete them.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE

After uninstalling previous Power BI Desktop, reboot your machine and reintall Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@wgarn,

There are two methods for you uninstalling previous Power BI Desktop.

1. Install  Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on your machine, then  use it to remove all the directories related to Power BI.
2. Manually delete all the files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin Directory. Open regedit and go to following keys one by one, then look for every Power BI Desktop entry and delete them.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE

After uninstalling previous Power BI Desktop, reboot your machine and reintall Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.