Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI - Data Security

Hello Experts,

I need your help regarding the data security when we publish a report from pbi desktop to power bi server (powerbi.com).

Our client has a very secured data and we are using Azure government cloud for this client to maintain the data security. We are planning to create the power bi report on top of this data and publish the report and then client will login with pbi pro account to access this data.

Now the major concern is that when we will publish the report on powerbi.com service then the data will go out of the Azure government cloud and which is not acceptable for client. Some questions - 

Does power bi store the data on their servrers to render the report visuals? 

Is data secured on power bi service?

Even if data is secured or encrpted is there any way that we could not have data on powerbi service and use some sort which is very private?

Please also advise how should we have the reports published in secured way and which will not take data outside of Azure governement server. Your inputs are highly appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

go to https://app.powerbi.com/  and click on the question mark and then About Power BI

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Your data is secure but you can also consider using direct query:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @LivioLanzo for your quick response. We have not created report using direct query but we have imported data and it would be really time consuming to re-create using direct query now. I guess when we import then data will go to power bi service but in encrypted format. 

Is there any way that we could change imprted data to direct query easily rather than re-creating?

Also is there any private cloud that we could publish insted of power bi service.

Thank you and please advise.

Thanks!

@Anonymous

you can try this technique

There's also Power BI Report Server, but I am not sure that would be an option for you

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LivioLanzo,

Do you have any idea :- On which location the power bi has their cloud? Is it in USA or somewhere else? We could mange upto some extent in data resides in USA only. Please advise if you know anything about this.

Thanks!

go to https://app.powerbi.com/  and click on the question mark and then About Power BI

Capture.PNG

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LivioLanzo

Really appreciate all your help!

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LivioLanzo and @v-chuncz-msft

I followed the steps as mentioned in the link to change the source from import to direct query but I need to remove all the query steps before I compile the pbix file. So after the plain table source in direct query mode, I need to again add the steps for my model like add a new column of 'Day of week' from one 'Date' column and so on in query editor but when I try to add a column the step is not getting added and error out like below

Capture.PNG

After google, I found one refernce to enable Composite mode in Preview section but still its getting the same error.

Does anyone has any idea about this?

Please help!

Thank you..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Anyone has any idea about this? I found out that there are lot of limitations while using DirectQuery mode and I assume that this is one of them, but still want to know if anyone has any work around or direct fix?

Please advise.

Thanks

There are certain steps within power query that are not supported in Direct Query,

especially those when Query Folding breaks, Power Bi will tell you that you need to change to Import Mode

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @LivioLanzo for response. Power BI is not accepting any steps, it just work with source step 🙂 I am pulling my hairs out on this 🙂 

Thanks again!

Check if your DB allows for Query folding:

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-checking-query-folding-with-view-native-query

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, let me check what my DB says. Will update here my findings. I just found that - while in DirectQuery mode the measure doesn't support CONCATENATEX buil-in as well. If this is not supported then I should conclude that DirectQuery mode is not suitable for me.

Thanks!

@Anonymous,

If the post above helps, you may just accept solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the refernce links @LivioLanzo

I am going through this now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.