Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Bastienlin_
Helper II
Helper II

Power Automate - Export to pdf button problem

Hello, I am posting here because I got no reply in Power Automate Community.

I wanted to add a button to my PBI report to extract pages from this dashboard to PDF and send it to me by email. (I want to do it because I can't use the extract button from PBI Service as I use the Embedded version of it)
The problem is that the filters I apply on the published version are not taken into account. For example when i select values in Slicers about the Date, I want it to be displayed on my extracted pdf version of my dashboard. Nevertheless it isn't the case as I still see the default state of my dashboard (the state when it is published into the PBI Service): I don't see what I selected a date on my slicer .

Did I miss something in my flow ? I only have 3 steps: 1. click on the button, 2. Export to fil for PBI (PDF or PPTX) 3. Send email.

Bastienlin__0-1654246234824.png

Thank you for your help !

17 REPLIES 17
mlozano
Helper II
Helper II

Did you include the Date field (The same one you use in the slicer) when you created the Power Automate visual object or the specific case is that your button does not work in a report published with a public link?

Hi @mlozano,

Do you mean that if I put the date field (same from the slicer) in the button object, the "Export to file" step will take into account what we select on the slicer ? Someone in the forum just told me that the Export to file step will always export the report in it's saved state, without taking into account what we do in the slicers.

Bastienlin__0-1654542738558.png

Thank you for your answer !

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Needs more details. Show an expanded version of the second step.

Hi @lbendlin?,

In the Second step "Extract to file", I just selected the workspace, the report that i want and the pages that I want actually.

But someone just told me in the forum that the Export to file step will always export the report in it's saved state, without taking into account what we do in the slicers.
Do you know if there is a way for this step to take into account what the user select in the slicers ? It is necessary for a print button to get these filters...

Thank you for your answer !

if you look at the second step again you see many more options including report filters, pages, bookmarks and identities.

Yes I see, but if I understand correctly it can not be dynamic depending on what we select on the slicer in the published version without saving it before right ?

That is incorrect. The PowerAutomate visual can accept values (filters) from the dataset and can transfer these into the flow as actionable enumeration.

Do you know how can I get the flow to take into account the selected values in the slicers without necessarly saving the report ? Because it is the user that is going to select what he wants in the slicer, thus they can't publish or save the report.

You must try entering each field that you want to be filtered, in the fields of the visual object, otherwise what you want will not happen.

As I said you can transfer the filter context. In your PowerAutomate visual specify the same columns that you use in the slicers.

@mlozano @lbendlin,

I tried it, I put the same field from my slicers in the Power automate visual but it still isn't dynamic with what I select in the slicer:

Bastienlin__0-1654615066176.png

Did I miss something ? (The exported file still take into account the default state of my slicers (when it is published in the workspace)

You already tried the following?

Once include the fields you need as power automate data:

mlozano_0-1654619809513.png

Select the edit option

mlozano_1-1654619876815.png

Once you do that, your visual does a loading process

mlozano_2-1654620007931.png

Go back and apply the flow you created to that visual and try again.

@mlozano Yes I have done this... Do you mean that without saving the report, and by changing the selected values in the slicers, you are able to see the changes you have done in these slicers in your extracted file in PDF or PPTX ?

Move you slicers to page level filters.

@lbendlin What do you mean by moving slicer to page level filters ? Could you please show me how ?

Instead of this

lbendlin_0-1654695805171.png

you can do this

lbendlin_1-1654695856712.png

Hi @lbendlin

I get what you want me to do, but in my use case, we need the user to select in the slicers visual

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.