Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bblais
Resolver III
Resolver III

Potential Issue with spaces in Query Names in Power BI Desktop when refreshing

I can create a dataset from a PBIX file that connects to SQL Server and pulls a measly five rows from a single small table called MatterType in my database.  I can successfully publish this file to Power BI and refresh it manually and/or on a schedule with no problem.

HOWEVER, if I simply change the Query Name only for the query to be "Matter Type" instead of "MatterType", and then upload the new PBIX file to Power BI, I get the following error when I attempt to refresh the dataset:

Untitled2.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the space that is the issue or just simply renaming the query to anything other than the orginal table name.  This initially occurred on a larger PBIX file I had created where I renamed pretty much every table name to something with spaces in it.  I just went back to basics and created this sample one to test it out and sure enough it seems to always create an issue with refreshes...

Thoughts?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, so after playing around with it a little more, it seems the fix that works is to use the "Refresh" button from within report section of Power BI Desktop.  The other means of refresh preview/load didn't seem to fix this issue for me, but if I do a refresh from within the report itself then upload the modified PBIX to Power BI and refresh there, the refresh is now working.

I'll use this method while awaiting the bug fix...

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
curth
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

This is a recently-discovered bug in PBI Desktop. After you rename a query, you'll need to refresh it at least once before saving the PBIX file, otherwise it will produce this inconsistent state.

You mean reload the data inside Power BI Desktop?

Yes. This will force the correct value to be generating for writing to the PBIX file.

Hmmm, I did a "Refresh Preview" from within the query editor, and then I did a "Load" before doing a "Close and Load" just to be sure it reloaded everything.  Then I uploaded/overwrote the PBIX into Power BI and tried to refresh and I'm still getting the same error.

Okay, so after playing around with it a little more, it seems the fix that works is to use the "Refresh" button from within report section of Power BI Desktop.  The other means of refresh preview/load didn't seem to fix this issue for me, but if I do a refresh from within the report itself then upload the modified PBIX to Power BI and refresh there, the refresh is now working.

I'll use this method while awaiting the bug fix...

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.