Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ToddMate
Helper II
Helper II

Parsing of whole number to date format

Hi,

When i import my source data I have a field in my query that is a date but is in YYYYMMDD format without any date seperators.

When it imports the source data it treats this field as a whole number.

How can i transfrom this into DDMMYYYY format and have PowerBI rcognise this as a date field .. or create a new column with the required format?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @ToddMate ,

Go to Power Query. Change the type of the column to text. Go to Add Column, Custom Column and use Date.FromText as in the picture.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathanieldatefromtext.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @ToddMate ,

Go to Power Query. Change the type of the column to text. Go to Add Column, Custom Column and use Date.FromText as in the picture.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathanieldatefromtext.PNG

That worked perfectly !! Thanks, haven't really used the Custom Column option before but it will be on the list of features to utilise moving forward!

Thanks again!

Hi @ToddMate ,
You are welcome! It is amazing the things you can get done using the M language, and fairly easy to do using the internet to get the solution code.
Nathaniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

In 'Power Query Editor' 

go to table, and select 'Add Column' --> Click on 'Column from Examples' and Power BI will automatically detects Date as you see in attached pictures.1.PNG2.PNG

Hope this helps. I tried convert same column as Date, but its not helping. so I tried to create a new column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.