Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heardm

POWER function using DATEDIFF

I need to raise a value in one column to the date diff of two other columns. I calculated the DATEDIFF in a separate calculated column. All of the column values are around 4. Then I tried to make a new calculated column that raised column values to the power of that date difference, but I get this error

"An argument of function 'POWER' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small."

All of my columns have the data type "decimal number"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
heardm

The problem was that I had previously divided two columns and if a row had a missing value I was given an answer of infinity, which I then tried to use in the POWER function

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
heardm

The problem was that I had previously divided two columns and if a row had a missing value I was given an answer of infinity, which I then tried to use in the POWER function

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @heardm

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

That error can be caused by having too large of a number in 2nd argument of POWER function as well.

See image for an example.

0.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.