Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

kkraft

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] The request failed. The operation has timed out.

receiving this error OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] The request failed. The operation has timed out. when refreshing. How can i fix this error? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @kkraft 

Hi. Power Bi Pro has a limit of 2 hours to refresh your data.if you exceed that time you can't continue. This can happen for different reasons like bandwitdh (if you have a gateway) or dataset size.

You have to consider reading about downsizing data model. You can find amazing youtube videos from guy in a cube and others in order to make your model smaller. Usually making a good star schema helps.

Another thing you can check is if your source is returning the data fast. You might have a big crazy native query to the source that takes a lot. Those scenarios might need a middle store procedure building a table in the data base engine in order to help Power Bi only reading the resulted table and avoiding running a complex query.

If you are on premise you can also check bandwidth but that might be the last option because the first two I have mentioned are the most common issues.

For more information please refer to the linked article:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/12/05/troubleshooting-power-bi-timeouts-part-1-the-two-five-hour-i...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @kkraft 

Hi. Power Bi Pro has a limit of 2 hours to refresh your data.if you exceed that time you can't continue. This can happen for different reasons like bandwitdh (if you have a gateway) or dataset size.

You have to consider reading about downsizing data model. You can find amazing youtube videos from guy in a cube and others in order to make your model smaller. Usually making a good star schema helps.

Another thing you can check is if your source is returning the data fast. You might have a big crazy native query to the source that takes a lot. Those scenarios might need a middle store procedure building a table in the data base engine in order to help Power Bi only reading the resulted table and avoiding running a complex query.

If you are on premise you can also check bandwidth but that might be the last option because the first two I have mentioned are the most common issues.

For more information please refer to the linked article:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/12/05/troubleshooting-power-bi-timeouts-part-1-the-two-five-hour-i...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Ritaf1983 
Im getting 

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read..
while loading the data 
if i apply limit 100 rows my query working fine and I'm able to  load the data If i not apply limit Im getting this error 
in power query
Im able to get the data in powerquery editor  if i click close and applay then I'm getting this error 
could you please help me on this

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors