Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kate

Need help! How to add a plus sign before positive numbers?

Adding a plus sign to positive numbers

Hi!

Is it somehow possible to automatically add a plus sign to the data in a table, which contains both positive and negative numbers, and retain the format (percentage)? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoHo_BI
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Go for this: 

Column =

var num = ROUND(Table[Column],2)

RETURN IF(num > 0, "+"&num&"%", num&"%"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
JoHo_BI
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Kate

Column = "+"&ROUNDDOWN(Table[Column],2)

Hope that helps!

It worked - the plus signs are now here. But the format is different - it's text now, and the percentage signs are missing 😞

Screenshot_1.png

Moreover, it added + to negative numbers as well 

Screenshot_2.png

JoHo_BI
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes, unfortunate consequence...

I'd change it to:

Column = "+"&ROUND(Table[Column],2)&"%"

As far as I know that's the only way to get the plus sign in the column, so it'll always be treated like text! I'd just use this as a display column and do all the calculations in the background on another column. 

Thank you!

Is there any way not to add plus to negative numbers?

JoHo_BI
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Go for this: 

Column =

var num = ROUND(Table[Column],2)

RETURN IF(num > 0, "+"&num&"%", num&"%"

Thank you!!!! You're my saviour! It worked!

Hi,

this solution works fine but if I would like to use conditional formatting it works just for number type 😞

Any other idea?

Many Thanks

D.

JoHo_BI
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Unfortunately as previously stated, since you're adding text characters to the number it'll automatically treat it as text. 

The only workaround off the top of my head will be to have a column that jsut returns +/-, then make it so small it's essentially next to the number column. This won't give you conditional formatting for the +/- column however. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, you can actually do this - at least in more recent versions of PowerBI - in a way that still allows for conditional formatting. You need to go to the relationships view, select the field you want to format as a percentage with positive and negative signs, and then in the "properties" pane, choose a custom format and enter "+#%;-#%;0%"

h34HzBG

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This solution is perfect!

Great solution - thanks!

brillaint!

You can also place the FORMAT() in DAX.

Measure = FORMAT( Table[Column] , "+#%;-#%;0%")

I agree that this is the best answer. However, it will, weirdly, show just "+" or "-" (rather than "-0" or "+0") for values between -0.5 and +0.5 that arent exactly 0, if you want no decimal points.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution is great!

However, when I apply it i do not have any decimals. Has anybody an idea how to show decimals?

Thanks!!

Yeah, you can use +0.00%;-0.00%;0.00%

this is the perfect way to do it, thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is THE Perfect Answer for this case. It doesn't convert the values into string, it still remains numeric even after converting them.

Kate

Hi!

Is it somehow possible to automatically add a plus sign to the data in a table, which contains both positive and negative numbers, and retain the format (percentage)? 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.