Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mpcz
Frequent Visitor

The conversion of a varchar data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range value

Hello,

Recently some of my colleagues are facing the following error "The conversion of a varchar data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range value" while trying to pull some views from SQL server to Power BI dekstop app, it just started to occure one day, previously everything worked just fine. There is no issue with refreshing datasets uploaded to service using the same views. As well the issue doesn't occure for me. Could it be related to some local settings of those users such as Power BI settings, regional settings of their machines ? As I've mentioned I'm not facing the issues but I'm in a different active directory, so maybe that's something related to the administrative settings of theirs AD? I've checked with data warehouse developer and nothing has been changed or modified at his end. Below I'm providing the column structure of those views. 

Mpcz_2-1697012901556.png

Mpcz_0-1697012827668.png

Mpcz_1-1697012854225.png

Thank you in advance for any tips and solutions.

1 REPLY 1
rubayatyasmin
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Mpcz 

Given that the issue is occurring for some colleagues but not for you, and that the data warehouse developer has confirmed that nothing has been changed at their end, it's likely that the problem is related to the local settings of the users facing the issue.

The error is likely due to date format mismatches between SQL Server and Power BI, influenced by regional and locale settings. Check and align date formats, regional settings, and Power BI locale preferences on affected users' machines. Also, ensure consistent data formats across all data sources in Power BI. If the issue persists, involve IT support for further investigation.

rubayatyasmin_0-1689517080227.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!super-user-logo

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.