Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ripstaur
Helper III
Helper III

Multiple IF or SWITCH with dates

I have a column containing report dates. I want to create another column that reflects a reporting period, so for instance if the date of the report is after 2/5, it returns "Feb YY" and if any report date is after 1/7 it returns "Jan YY." I understand that I would need to have it parse the latest date first, then nest another "if" statement after it for the earlier reporting period. 

I have tried 

Reporting Period = IF ( [Report Date] > 2/5/YY, "Feb YY", IF ( [Report Date] > 1/5/YY, "Jan "YY", "NA"))

and 

Reporting Period = SWITCH(TRUE(), [Report Date] > 2/5/YY, "Feb YY", [Report Date] > 1/5/YY, "Jan YY")

Both scenarios return a column with Feb YY in every row, unless I switch the dates; whichever date comes first is what ends up being evaluated, and its result returned throughout. 

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ripstaur ,
You should use Date function when referencing dates.

Reporting Period v2 =
IF (
    [Report Date] > DATE ( 202125 ),
    "Feb 21",
    IF ( [Report Date] > DATE ( 202115 )"Jan 21""NA" )
)

Attached demo file. You can make it more dynamic if needed to always compare to 5th day of month. Idea started, you can customize if needed.

This is the result:

date period.PNG

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ripstaur ,
You should use Date function when referencing dates.

Reporting Period v2 =
IF (
    [Report Date] > DATE ( 202125 ),
    "Feb 21",
    IF ( [Report Date] > DATE ( 202115 )"Jan 21""NA" )
)

Attached demo file. You can make it more dynamic if needed to always compare to 5th day of month. Idea started, you can customize if needed.

This is the result:

date period.PNG

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

This is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.