Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RichFlorida
Helper III
Helper III

Matrix with Dynamic Column Heading

For the Matrix below, I would like the headings of each column to be dynamic! I would like it to change when the month/year changes.

Ex: if we are in Feb, 2023 the headings should be as illustrated below.

Any idea how to achieve this?

(currently each column calculation is an independent measure)

matrix.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RichFlorida 

Please check my sample here at the link. It is hard to explain in words detailedly, but I can tell what have I done concisely.

1. Create a table that contains all the possible dynamic values you wish to see (I created the table 'Dynamic header')

2. Create a calculated column in your raw data table, which is used to make a relationship between the raw data and the table in step 1 (For me, it is a single directional relationship from 'Dynamic header' to 'Earthquakes')

johnyip_0-1676537229052.png

3. Create a measure for the table in step 1, aiming to clone the exact value of the dynamic title column.

4. write yor measure. Yes, write it all in a single measure, unlike what you have done previously (different things in different measures). This is why I said it is an ordeal.

I have improvised something like this on my own and I still believe that is an ordeal if your measures to be used are complex.

johnyip_1-1676861911816.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16zun85AxSoGLqAVjum9knrqVetUnaFGN/view?usp=share_link

I hope you can make it if this dynamic title requirement is really necessary.

Please mark my post as the solution if this answers your question!
Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lpriceFTW
Helper II
Helper II

@RichFlorida,

How has the solution been working for you so far? I am facing the same issue that you present in your question.

In my case, I am presenting a balance sheet matrix. Rows are account line items and the two dynamic columns each represent a month of financial activity totals. The user can compare both columns (months).

However, I need the header to display which month each of the columns is currently filtered to.

RichFlorida
Helper III
Helper III

thank you @johnyip  so much.

I will see if I could customize your code for my measures and incorporate in my dash.

RichFlorida
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks you @johnyip 

Click here for the sample file

Any help greatly appreciated!

RichFlorida
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks you @johnyip 

Click here for the sample file

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi @RichFlorida , Welcome. Hope the sample file can help you in understanding the creative way to make the measures' name dynamic, and please accept that as the solution so others can look for assistance from your thread.

Appreciate your Kudos !!

@RichFlorida 

Please check my sample here at the link. It is hard to explain in words detailedly, but I can tell what have I done concisely.

1. Create a table that contains all the possible dynamic values you wish to see (I created the table 'Dynamic header')

2. Create a calculated column in your raw data table, which is used to make a relationship between the raw data and the table in step 1 (For me, it is a single directional relationship from 'Dynamic header' to 'Earthquakes')

johnyip_0-1676537229052.png

3. Create a measure for the table in step 1, aiming to clone the exact value of the dynamic title column.

4. write yor measure. Yes, write it all in a single measure, unlike what you have done previously (different things in different measures). This is why I said it is an ordeal.

I have improvised something like this on my own and I still believe that is an ordeal if your measures to be used are complex.

johnyip_1-1676861911816.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16zun85AxSoGLqAVjum9knrqVetUnaFGN/view?usp=share_link

I hope you can make it if this dynamic title requirement is really necessary.

Appreciate your Kudos !!
johnyip
Super User
Super User

It is not possible using measures directly, but if you can figure out the way of doing the calculation correctly by using CALCULATED TABLE and MEASURE and relationship, you MAY achieve that, given you can pass the ordeal of DAX.

You can provide a sample file, with the data structure you are using, and I can see if this is possible (without making the functioning calculated columns) to build a template with dymanic column names.

Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.