Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Domenick
Helper IV
Helper IV

Matrix - How do I get my measure to divide by week instead of day on drilldown?

I have a matrix visual that shows the percentage of hours that an employee has worked out of their total workable hours for each week. I want to be able to add another field to the column, so that the user can click to drill down and see the projects that contribute to that number. But when I try to do that, the calculation breaks. I would like the percentage shown to be the percentage of hours that employee has worked on that project during that week. But the calculation only divides the number of hours worked into the number of hours available only on the days they worked on the project (not the week). Can someone help me figure out how to have it find the percentage of hours worked out of the whole week?

Here is how the data is organized.

There is a labor detail table that shows the number of hours worked:

Domenick_0-1675791614899.png

And an employee calendar table that shows each employees workable hours by day. 

Domenick_1-1675791627095.png

These two tables are related with a concatenated key of Employee+date. The calculation I'm using is simply (SUM(Hours)/Workable Hours). I've tried a few other more complex calculations, but I just can't figure it out.

In the example above, the 4 hours that Todd worked on Project 2 on 1/3/23 would appear as 50% (4/8) instead of 5% (4/20).

I hope this is enough to give a picture of what I'm working with. Thanks for taking the time to read my headache.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you share the .pbix file so that we can take a look?

I tried like this

sevenhills_0-1675886421457.png

2. Data as

sevenhills_1-1675886536108.png

sevenhills_2-1675886548167.png

3. In the previous post visualization image, Used "Week" from emp calendar table for the left two matrixes and from labor table for the right matrix.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Domenick
Helper IV
Helper IV

The way I solved this was to rewrite my sql query so that it did the math in SQL. 

Glad to hear that it is solved.

Glad to hear that it is solved.

sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Try this if it helps ...

1) Add columns to both tables

Week = "Week " & WEEKNUM(Table_EmpCalendar[Date],2) 

2) Add measures

Table: EmpCalendar

Sum Emp Calendar Hours = Sum (Table_EmpCalendar[Hours])

Table: Labor

Sum Labor Hours = Sum (Table_Labor[Hours])

Table: EmpCalendar

% by week = 
var _selectWeek = SELECTEDVALUE( Table_EmpCalendar[Week] )
VAR _BASELINE_VALUE = CALCULATE([Sum Emp Calendar Hours], Table_EmpCalendar[Week] = _selectWeek	)
VAR _MEASURE_VALUE = CALCULATE( [Sum Labor Hours], Table_Labor[Week] = _selectWeek )

RETURN  IF ( ISBLANK(_MEASURE_VALUE), BLANK(),  _MEASURE_VALUE/ _BASELINE_VALUE )

Format the % calc as percentage with 2 decimals

Output:

sevenhills_1-1675800834011.png

Thank you so much for this very thoughtful and detailed solution. I followed it to the tee, but it produced the same result as my previous solution 😞 

Can you share the .pbix file so that we can take a look?

I tried like this

sevenhills_0-1675886421457.png

2. Data as

sevenhills_1-1675886536108.png

sevenhills_2-1675886548167.png

3. In the previous post visualization image, Used "Week" from emp calendar table for the left two matrixes and from labor table for the right matrix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.