Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hrafnkel11
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix Grouping Using What If Parameter

Hi – I have some calculations that previously took place in SQL that I have to move to Power BI using a What If parameter. Since we can’t use What If parameters within calculated columns, I’m at a loss on how to put it all together within a measure.

I basically have a list of customers that I need to group by “Buying” vs. “Not Buying” based on the value of the user-defined parameter, which sets the threshold for the # of days since last purchase. The output for this only needs to go into one matrix that looks like the below (Active/Inactive is pre-calculated in the same table and won’t change).

hrafnkel11_0-1646142990661.png

Sample data:

CustomerID

Amount

LastOrder_Days

Current_Status

Active

Inactive

Active

Inactive

Active

Inactive

Parameter and expected output based on parameter:

hrafnkel11_1-1646143070801.png

hrafnkel11_2-1646143077450.png

I get the expected result for “Buying” using the below, but it’s only the value with no label and doesn’t include the calculation for “Not Buying”. I've attempted to use SWITCH(TRUE()) and SUMMARIZE, but can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be great. Thanks!

CALCULATE(

SUM(CUSTOMER[Amount]),

FILTER(ALL(

CUSTOMER[LastOrder_Days]),

CUSTOMER[LastOrder_Days]>='BUYING STATUS THRESHOLD'[BUYING STATUS THRESHOLD Value]

)

)

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hrafnkel11 , You need to create an independent table(Option) with two values Buying and non buying

measures

Buy 1= CALCULATE(
SUM(CUSTOMER[Amount]),
FILTER(ALL(
CUSTOMER[LastOrder_Days]),
CUSTOMER[LastOrder_Days]>='BUYING STATUS THRESHOLD'[BUYING STATUS THRESHOLD Value]
)
)

Status = if(isblank([measure]), "Buying", "Non Buying")

then a measure like

sumx(filter(values(CUSTOMER[Customer ID]), [Status] = max(Option[Option] )), CALCULATE(
SUM(CUSTOMER[Amount]) ))

Thank you so much. Just in case anyone comes across this in the future, I needed to make one small adjustment in the Status measure (switching Buying and Not Buying), but this was the perfect solution. Thanks again!

Syk
Super User
Super User

What I'm understanding is you need to group your data by "Buying" and "Not Buying"..
Give this video a watch and see if it helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LO8syugMA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.