Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hvtilborg

Loading large number of records from OData v4 feed makes PowerBI very slow

I'm creating an OData v4 feed that currently contains one entity set. This entity set contains around 1 million records with only five columns (of respective types int64, datetime, datetime, string, and string).

When loading this OData feed into PowerBI desktop (2.50.4859.502 64-bit September, 2017), it becomes terribly slow when the initial load is done and PowerBI is hardly workable.

Filtering is not truly an option, because I need all data of the mentioned entity set. Currently, the entity OData URL returns 50,000 records a time, with a `$skip` link to the next 50,000 records. Is there any OData v4 feature out there to make this feed work nicely in PowerBI?

And, on a side-note: would loading this same data into Azure Table Storage perform better within PowerBI?

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@hvtilborg

We can't do too much from Power BI side to optimize  when retrieving such a big dataset.

I suggest you loading data from Azure storage so that you can use Direct Query. But it has 1 millon records limitation. For more details, please see: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.