Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LukeB
Frequent Visitor

Lag function in DAX

Hello 

Looking for some help if possible.

I am trying to write some DAX in DAX studio to return the previous cancelled date for an account for a broker (however not getting very far).

What I am trying to achieve is the below - where I can return the prev cancelled date (Column H) from the data stored in column B for the same broker.

LukeB_0-1689256727179.png

I am currently writing DAX against a shared dataset which holds a lot of data as we snapshot all our accounts everyday.

This is where I have gotten to so far with my DAX as I have seen online I needed to use the EARLIER function - but I just cannot get the "Prev Cancelled Date" column to work. I assume it's do with my FILTER function inside that calculated column but to be honest its just confusing me.

EVALUATE
CALCULATETABLE (
    SUMMARIZE (
        FactCase,
        DimCase[Account Number],
        FactCase[Cancelled Date],
        DimBroker[Broker First Name],
        DimBroker[Broker Last Name],
        DimBroker[Broker Email],
        FactCase[Snapshot Date],
        "Row Count", [Row Count],
        "Prev Cancelled Date",
            CALCULATE (
                MAX ( FactCase[Cancelled Date] ),
                FILTER (
                    FactCase,
                    DimBroker[Broker Email] = EARLIER ( DimBroker[Broker Email] )
                        && DimBroker[Broker First Name] = EARLIER ( DimBroker[Broker First Name] )
                        && DimBroker[Broker Last Name] = EARLIER ( DimBroker[Broker Last Name] )
                        && FactCase[Cancelled Date] < EARLIER ( FactCase[Cancelled Date] )
                )
            )
    ),
    FactCase[Snapshot Date] = DATEVALUE ( "2023-07-12" ),
    FactCase[Cancelled Date] <> BLANK ()
)
ORDER BY DimBroker[Broker Email], FactCase[Cancelled Date] DESC

As you can see below from using the DAX I have provided for the "Prev Cancelled date" column, I am returning blank data for that whole column.

LukeB_3-1689257528862.png

I do have some sample data if required but it won't let me upload to this message.

Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@LukeB See my article on Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395....
The basic pattern is:
Column = 
  VAR __Current = [Value]
  VAR __PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Date] < EARLIER('Table'[Date])),[Date])

VAR __Previous = MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date]=__PreviousDate),[Value])
RETURN
  __Current - __Previous

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@LukeB See my article on Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395....
The basic pattern is:
Column = 
  VAR __Current = [Value]
  VAR __PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Date] < EARLIER('Table'[Date])),[Date])

VAR __Previous = MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date]=__PreviousDate),[Value])
RETURN
  __Current - __Previous

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler @LukeB,

My 1st column has a list of Equipment, and the 2nd column has the date/time they failed in the date/time format. For each of these equipment, I am trying to find the difference between date/time they failed (difference between rows) and calculate their summation at the end.

I created the Index column and wrote the following DAX code to solve this issue:

DIFF =

var _lasttime = CALCULATE(MAX('Sampling'[BreakDownDate]),FILTER('Sampling','Sampling'[Index]=EARLIER('Sampling'[Index])-1))

return

DATEDIFF(_lasttime,'Sampling'[BreakDownDate],MINUTE)

It is giving me the right number if I just select(filter) just 1 equipment but as I keep adding Equipments to the table it gives me wrong summation of Breakdown date towards the end. As a whole on 2000+ different equipments, my numbers are not that far. But individually for those equipments my numbers are sharply and significantly different for many equipments. 

Can you please suggest a better DAX code than above to resolve this issue further?

@Greg_Deckler Actually I got it working with the below from your article. I removed the "Prev Decline" column from inside the summarize and then added wrapped it in a ADDCOLUMNS further down which did the trick.

Thanks a lot for the help! 

LukeB_0-1689262140400.png

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for coming back so quick.

So looking at the article you sent it adds a calculated column into the physical dataset as per the below screenshot?

LukeB_0-1689260802784.png

Is there a way to do it just where I can create that column inside my below DAX query? As what I am looking for is quite bespoke to a single report and don't want it going into the general dataset.

LukeB_1-1689260994723.png

Apologies if I have missed the point here - DAX confuses the life out of me!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.