Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dniedrauer
Resolver I
Resolver I

Issues connecting to sharepoint credentials error

I have my Power BI Desktop file connected to several text files offline (in folders), but when I try to change the source to pull them off a SharePoint site, I get the error: "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again." 

Note this error does not appear when I try to create a new connection to file on a Sharepoint folder, only when I try to change the source for an existing connection to SharePoint. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the solution myself, and it is not very intuitive. There is no "change data source type" option, unfortunately, so this is what you have to do: 

Step 1: import data source (again) from SharePoint as a SharePoint folder. 

Step 2: go to Advanced Editor and copy data source code. 

Step 3: go to your original table that points to the locally stored data source and replace the data source code with the new code. 

Voila! It works. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a solution to this:

1. Go to File in the top left corner
  2. Options and settings
  3. Options
  4. Under the Global tab, go to Security
  5. Scroll down and enable "Use my default web browser"

DamienSergeant_1-1662647037821.png

Then try again to connect to your Sharepoint site and it should open a tab in your default browser after which you should be able to sign in.

I hope this helped someone!

MrCrow
Helper I
Helper I

I had the same problem!   Finally got around to updating the desktop app and it solved my problem!   Had to do a re download from the microsoft page but it works much better now.   Hopefully this solves your issue as well!

luisgarcia
Regular Visitor

So sad my dudes...The right answer has yet to be posted. No worries I am here. The trick is to stop using power bi. But if your manager forces you to continue, the second-best option is to go to manage credentials, remove credentials related to sharepoint, and then reconnect to sharepoint as you normally would if power bi didnt returned useless error messages. 

Limitless
Regular Visitor

This is not the solution. I have the same problem and it is not possible to connect to Share Point again buddy. Please somebody solve this, many analyses have stopped working as we try to find what is wrong?!

Azhar2010
Helper I
Helper I

I would appreciate if you somebody could help me

I have PBI desktop which I want to connect to my Sharepoint 2013 On Prem Server's List. I am the administrator , but unable to connect to that list. It gives authorization error.

Also I can connect to Sharepoint On Prem list using SSRS report builder  etc. all works well, why PBI desktop unable to connect.

Please advise.

Mr_Glister
Advocate II
Advocate II

I had the same issue. Can't even believe I found a forum post that solves exactly my problem. 

Thanks!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@dniedrauer  but if its offline, how can it authenticate or am i being daft?

what do you mean by offline?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

in Power BI, you can choose the source of your data, and many of those options are offline files (files stored locally). 

@dniedrauer so what you saying is that you want to change the connection from a local network drive to a sharepoint drive?

where are you trying to do this?  can you provide a screenshot of the error

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

I found the solution myself, and it is not very intuitive. There is no "change data source type" option, unfortunately, so this is what you have to do: 

Step 1: import data source (again) from SharePoint as a SharePoint folder. 

Step 2: go to Advanced Editor and copy data source code. 

Step 3: go to your original table that points to the locally stored data source and replace the data source code with the new code. 

Voila! It works. 

@dniedrauer that makes sense, after all its a different connector

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.