Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Phoen1x09
Frequent Visitor

How to write DAX code that will dynamically group the bottom 20% of results for a Pie Chart?

I have a Pie Chart showing the percent/value breakdown of reported conditions from a customer. There are roughly 20 or so categories, with the bottom 8 or so being small amounts that comprise 20% of the chart.

My manager has asked me to group the bottom 20% into one category to reduce the clutter, while leaving the remaining 80% showing the full name of the reported condition.

I'm expecting this dataset to grow over time so I don't want to hard-code the 20% to be specific things in case one of the conditions becomes a big enough slice that it should be broken out on its own. 

I'm not really great with Dax code yet, can anyone help me find a solution that will dynamically determine what conditions make up the bottom 20% and group them into an "Other" category so that my Pie Chart displays them together?

Edit: title to correctly be DAX code, not M code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I am NGL, I got a little lost trying to understand how to translate the article to suit my needs for a pie chart and percentages, but generally it seemed on point so I gave you a thumbs up. I'm almost ashamed to say...I went and asked ChatGPT a few questions and got a working solution for my situation. Edited for posting, here it is for posterity:

(1) Created a measure that counts my reported conditions:

CondCalc = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Condition]))

(2) Created calculated column to use in my pie chart:

ConditionGroupBottom20 =
VAR Threshold = PERCENTILEX.INC('Table', [CondCalc], 0.2)
RETURN
IF(
    [CondCalc] >= Threshold,
    'Table'[Condition],
    "Others"
)

(3) Assigned the calculated column as the value/legend of my pie chart.

This had the effect of grouping the bottom 20% of my pie chart slices into one categor "Others" while leaving the remaining slices with full details/name.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"M Code"  and "dynamically"  do not go together.  You will have to do this in DAX.

Here is a walkthrough of what is required.  Buckle up, it is not a simple ride.

Showing the top 5 products and Other row - SQLBI

So I am NGL, I got a little lost trying to understand how to translate the article to suit my needs for a pie chart and percentages, but generally it seemed on point so I gave you a thumbs up. I'm almost ashamed to say...I went and asked ChatGPT a few questions and got a working solution for my situation. Edited for posting, here it is for posterity:

(1) Created a measure that counts my reported conditions:

CondCalc = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Condition]))

(2) Created calculated column to use in my pie chart:

ConditionGroupBottom20 =
VAR Threshold = PERCENTILEX.INC('Table', [CondCalc], 0.2)
RETURN
IF(
    [CondCalc] >= Threshold,
    'Table'[Condition],
    "Others"
)

(3) Assigned the calculated column as the value/legend of my pie chart.

This had the effect of grouping the bottom 20% of my pie chart slices into one categor "Others" while leaving the remaining slices with full details/name.

That's actually cute, a nice way to abuse PERCENTILEX. You can mark your post as the solution.

Yeah thank you good catch. I'm still so new I mix up the vocabulary. Edited title post to correct. I will review your link and brb.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.