Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

yuching_chang
Helper II
Helper II

How to use Dax to source different table in Matrix

Hi All,

I have a Matrix like this, at the Supplier level, I have indicator value differs across weeks

Capture.PNG

However, because the indicator value is calculated with complication, the values at  ID level can't simply be calculated by average or sum of values at Supplier level. Namely, currently when I collapse the matrix by ID, the value is false like below

Capture1.PNG

As the Indicator calculation is complicated and needs sourcing many columns in DB, to avoid long loading time in PBI, I only grab the calculated Indicator from DB to my PBI table. To manage the value difference, I have 2 tables connected by "Primary Key".  

Picture2.jpg

Would like to know, is it possible to source Table 2 for Supplier level value while source Table 1 for ID level if user collapse by ID...? Or there's any other better solutions to do this? Thanks for any suggestion in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yuching_chang ,

According to your screenshot, you data has a hierarchy(ID->Location->Supplier), right? Based on your sample data, please try to use the following dax(Since I don't know how you calculated the location value, I set it to sum of suppliers

Measure =
IF (
    ISINSCOPE ( Table2[Location] ),
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( Table2[Supplier] ),
        SUM ( Table2[Indicator] ),
        CALCULATE (
            FILTER ( Table2, Table2[Location] IN DISTINCT ( Table2[Location] ) )
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Table1[Indicator] ), Table1[ID] IN DISTINCT ( Table1[ID] ) )
)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yuching_chang ,

According to your screenshot, you data has a hierarchy(ID->Location->Supplier), right? Based on your sample data, please try to use the following dax(Since I don't know how you calculated the location value, I set it to sum of suppliers

Measure =
IF (
    ISINSCOPE ( Table2[Location] ),
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( Table2[Supplier] ),
        CALCULATE (
            FILTER ( Table2, Table2[Location] IN DISTINCT ( Table2[Location] ) )
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Table1[Indicator] ), Table1[ID] IN DISTINCT ( Table1[ID] ) )
)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

hi @v-deddai1-msft 

really thank you for the instruction and it does work!! But still one related question: is it possible to consolidate all data in 1 table and leverage this Dax? like below

Picture1.png

The reason is I actually have indicator value differences at ID, Location, Supplier levels (maybe more later), and found if I separate into tables, I'll have too many tables...However, if i have the tables combined into 1, the Matrix will display the aggregated value as "All"...but I still need the Matrix to run the originally desired function - to show aggregated value only when users collapse...

Capture3.PNG

Not sure if combined table can still serve the desired visuals..thanks in advance!

Hi @yuching_chang ,

Please refer to the measure:

Measure = 
IF (
    ISINSCOPE ( 'Table'[Location] ),
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( 'Table'[Supplier] ),
        SUM ( 'Table'[Indicator] ),
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Indicator] ),
             'Table'[Supplier] = "ALL"
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM( 'Table'[Indicator]),FILTER(ALL('Table'[Location]),'Table'[Location] = "ALL" )
)
)

Capture3.PNG

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

thanks for the help! I tried, the value is correct at Supplier level and Location level when I collpase by location

Capture.PNG

But it's wrong at ID and CFG level...like below when I collapse by ID, the value is all 50...

Capture1.PNG

My raw data looks like below: (So ID 1 indicator should be 41, 33, 6, 34....each week)

I've tried many ways to adjust your dax for the issue but failed...can only reach out to you again

Really thank you for the help!

Seems like the raw data table failed to upload, post again

Capture2.PNG

Hi @yuching_chang ,

Would you please refer to my edited reply above?

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

I've tried the updated Dax, but still doesn't work for my ID and Group level indicator value...And the matrix becomes a bit weird when I tried to collapse and expand (e.g. collapse ID 1, but then ID 1 disappears...)

Pls refer to the video below. I've recorded the issues encountered. Hope this way clearer. Thanks for the help in advance 🙂

Hi @yuching_chang ,

It will be nice if you can share the pbix file by onedrive for business in the video.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft 

thanks for the reply! I'd like to share the pbi file by business for onedrive, but I can  only share with people in my company network if no specific email to set up special access. So may I have email via private msg? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.