Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

konradjonsson
Helper II
Helper II

How to resolve ambiguous relationship

Hi.

I have run into a problem with ambiguous relationships. 

What I want:

-I have three transaction tables (highlighted in green)

-each of these tables include the field 'Part number replaced' (underlined in red)

-I have two index tables (highlighted in yellow), where the part numbers are categorized

-the categorizations in the two tables are different and used for different purposed, i.e. I need both

Community question - ambigious relationships.png

The issue I run into is:

-I have relationships set up and working for the 'IBC Item BOM list' (yellow)

-I also have relationship set up for 'NCR View' (green) and 'sourcing mart dim...' (yellow)

-so, for 'NCR View', I get what I want - i.e. a categorization based on both index tables.

-when I try to create relationships between the other two transaction tables ('RPT Warranty...', 'Claim Master...') and the other index table, 'sourcing mart dim...' (yellow), I get the error message that such relationship would introduce ambiguity between other tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Konrad, 

The issue here is due to the double sided crossfilter directions. 

As an example,

If you place a filter on IBC_Item_BOM_List it it will filter RPT_Warranty_and_sold
If RPT_Warranty_and_sold is filtered it will then filter Sourcing_mart dim.
Sourcing_mart dim will then filter Claim_Master_View.
And finally Claim_Master_View filters IBC_Item_BOM_List.

So the result is that placing a filter on IBC_Item_BOM_List creates a situation where the tables tries to filter itself, which doesn't work too well. 

If you change the direction of the crossfilter so that they are one-sided you should be able to create the relationship. 

Br,
Johannes

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Konrad, 

The issue here is due to the double sided crossfilter directions. 

As an example,

If you place a filter on IBC_Item_BOM_List it it will filter RPT_Warranty_and_sold
If RPT_Warranty_and_sold is filtered it will then filter Sourcing_mart dim.
Sourcing_mart dim will then filter Claim_Master_View.
And finally Claim_Master_View filters IBC_Item_BOM_List.

So the result is that placing a filter on IBC_Item_BOM_List creates a situation where the tables tries to filter itself, which doesn't work too well. 

If you change the direction of the crossfilter so that they are one-sided you should be able to create the relationship. 

Br,
Johannes

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you Johannes!

It worked.

When I changed the filter direction (to single), I consistently used "Index table filters Transaction table". (not sure what impact the direction has, but I am happy:-))

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.