Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amybirc77
Helper II
Helper II

How to load data and not the hierarchy

Hi All,

I am importing data from SQL Server table, the date is in the MM/DD/YYYY Format. When I add it to the report it by default is loading as YEAR,qtr,month and day. Is there a way where it can just load as date insted?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You can change the behaviour of the date field by right clicking on the Date field when in the build pane and select date instead of date hierarchy.

jgeddes_0-1714049797718.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Thanks  that fixed it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aniaquen232

It sounds like your reporting tool is automatically interpreting the date field from your SQL Server table and breaking it down into separate components like year, quarter, month, and day. To load the date as a single unit instead of breaking it down into its hierarchical components, you can follow these steps:

1. Format Date in SQL Query: When fetching data from your SQL Server table, format the date field to be in a format that the reporting tool recognizes as a single date unit. For example, you can use the SQL CONVERT() function to format the date in a standard format like YYYY-MM-DD.

SELECT CONVERT(varchar, your_date_column, 23) AS formatted_date FROM your_table;
  2. Adjust Reporting Tool Settings: Check the settings or preferences in your reporting tool to see if there's an option to treat the date field as a single unit instead of breaking it down into components. Look for options related to date formatting, data types, or default behavior when loading date fields.

3. Explicitly Specify Date Field Type: If your reporting tool allows it, explicitly specify that the field from your SQL query is a date type. This can sometimes override the default behavior of breaking down the date into hierarchical components. Read more

jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You can change the behaviour of the date field by right clicking on the Date field when in the build pane and select date instead of date hierarchy.

jgeddes_0-1714049797718.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks  that fixed it.

Ok dear

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.