Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

How to integrate several depending parameter values most efficiently into one Measure?

Hello,

I have many sliders where I can set a percentage value. Here are "just" three of them: 

Applicable88_1-1673348380529.png

To set the increment and the range of percentage I use the parameter functionality inside PBI:

ParameterValue = GENERATESERIES(0, 1.55, 0.05)

I use this to create a useful measure, which I can multiply whith other measures of interest:

Parameter Value Output = SELECTEDVALUE('ParameterValue'[ParameterValue])

And here I can use it to multiply with e.g. the Order Amount from machines which are painted green:

MachineNumberScenario = 

Calculate(Distinctcount(Orders[Ordernumber_No]), Orders[Ordertype] = "GreenMachine")*ParameterValue[ParameterValue]

I created a KPI Visual, where I can play scenarios where I forecast when I got 50% more orders than normal coming in. So I can see the numbers, if machine orders goes up to 150% over baseline. 

Now my problem occurs when I have several sliders, which have subset of each other.

For example I have one KPI window with the above Measure "MachineNumberScenario",  but also  have a second KPI Window with a subset of that value: 

MachineNumberScenario2 = 

Calculate(Distinctcount(Orders[Ordernumber_No]), Orders[Subtype] = "RedPlate")*ParameterValue2[ParameterValue2]

The subtype= "RedPlate" are  Machines with a Redplate. Some of the green machines have a red plate. 

So the second slider also should influence the first KPI Window when I set the slider to different values other then 100%, it should show me the MachineNumberScenario based on the two sliders. For example when I set the ParameterValue1 to 50% and the ParameterValue2 to 100% it should forecast the number of machine, when only 50% green machine are being produces, but the red machine staying stable at 100%.  When the parameter values are being set reversely, it should forecast as if the greem machine are staying stable at 100%, but what is the total number when the machines with red plate are going down 50%?

How to bring the measures and parameters together to make sense? Whatever I did so far I got wrong values especially when the  the slider values are not 100%. And several sliders can influence a KPI. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Best. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The default way filters work is they are "stacked" on top of each other, as if you would say "AND".  This is true for individual columns, for tables, and for the entire data model. For example Ordertype = GreenMachine AND Ordersubtype = RedPlate

What you seem to want is an "OR" filter  where you  append conditions like  Ordertype = GreenMachine OR Ordersubtype = RedPlate

That is not something Power BI supports natively, you will have to implement that entirey through measures that you then use as visual filters.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The default way filters work is they are "stacked" on top of each other, as if you would say "AND".  This is true for individual columns, for tables, and for the entire data model. For example Ordertype = GreenMachine AND Ordersubtype = RedPlate

What you seem to want is an "OR" filter  where you  append conditions like  Ordertype = GreenMachine OR Ordersubtype = RedPlate

That is not something Power BI supports natively, you will have to implement that entirey through measures that you then use as visual filters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.