Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nikhil893

How to dynamically calculate the difference between two dates selected from a slicer?

We want to calculate the difference in seconds  between the two dates( start and end) selected from a slicer. As we are very new to this could anyone please help us out?

Thank you,

Nikhil Pranav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nikhil893,

PorkChop's DAX expression works fine.

Measure = DATEDIFF(MIN(Sales[Date]),MAX(Sales[Date]),DAY)&" Days"
Capture.PNGUntitled.png

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PorkChop
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey dude.

If you are doing this in dax it's super simple.

=DATEDIFF([Startdate],[EndDate],second)
The Mystic Statistic

@PorkChop : We need to have the start and end dates to be selected from the user using a slicer. Will this measure work for that too ? We do not have any columns named ' Start date' and 'end date'. We have only one column as date which we are using in a slicer.Capture.PNG

Hi @nikhil893,

PorkChop's DAX expression works fine.

Measure = DATEDIFF(MIN(Sales[Date]),MAX(Sales[Date]),DAY)&" Days"
Capture.PNGUntitled.png

Regards,

Charlie Liao

*flexes*

The Mystic Statistic

Interesting, maybe you could try

=DATEDIFF(min([DATE]),max([DATE]),second)

where [DATE] is the columnname of the slicer you are using?

The Mystic Statistic

@PorkChop : The DATE coulmn may have dates from 1 Nov 2016 till 30 Nov 2016. The selection from the slicer could be 2 Nov (start date) and 4 Nov (End date). We need these two dates ( 2 Nov and 4 Nov) , not the min and max dates in the date column. Will this measure work for that ?

Well i've not tested it i practice but it should do. When you are filtering using the slicer, it's actually like creating a new table of entries between those two dates. If we then pick the smallest and largest values in that table it's the same effect.

You'll want to test it, as I haven't but syntactically should be correct.

The Mystic Statistic

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.