Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Poova
Frequent Visitor

How to create data model with limited dimensions but multiple fact tables

I need to create a dashboard using multiple excel files that are coming thru automated workflows. Each file is a fact file but the fields are all different except 3 columns. Each of the 3 columns have a dimension related table in Data warehouse. 

So when I load all fact tables and dimension tables, I am looking at 5-6 fact tables with common columns connected to each of the dimension table. 

How do I create a star schema (or) any other alternative to have a clean data model? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MisterFry
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Poova, 

You've kinda answered your own question here. 

You would create one-way relationships between each of the dimensions, and each of the facts, where relevant. Because you're using one-way relationships, you won't run into circular references.

In the case of many to many relationships, you can still specify a single cross filter direction though the default is 'both'.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Poova
Frequent Visitor

Thank you ! Initially i was skeptical about the data model as I was always thinking the model should be star / snowflake type but the model I work is kind of exactly opposite to star model. However, I tried to create dashboard based on your tips above. So far so good 🙂 

MisterFry
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Poova, 

You've kinda answered your own question here. 

You would create one-way relationships between each of the dimensions, and each of the facts, where relevant. Because you're using one-way relationships, you won't run into circular references.

In the case of many to many relationships, you can still specify a single cross filter direction though the default is 'both'.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.