Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RokuCap
Helper I
Helper I

How to Dynamically Load Only the Non-Empty Tables Into the Data Model?

I have a few Excel workbooks I want to load data from every month. Each workbook will contain over 20 worksheets, each worksheet with one table. The worksheets should be loaded in their own query and not combined/appended with other workbooks. However, not every table will have data; some will be empty tables.

Power BI gives you the option to manually select which tables to load via the 'Navigator' menu but is there a way to dynamically load only the non-empty tables? If so, would this be achieved in DAX or M? As checking each table every week across multiple workbooks would be a very time consuming task.

For example, let's assume an Excel workbook with 8 Tables named "Table1" to "Table8" on separate worksheets also labelled "Table1" to "Table8". Only Table3, Table4 and Table 5 have data. The empty tables should not be loaded into the Data Model to avoid clutter.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @RokuCap,

In my opinion, I think these operations should suitable to processed in Power query.

If these files are stored in the folder, you can use folder connector to get data from that. Then you can add filters on different fields(they mean the file properties) to the filters connector result to filter not match records, and load data form remained files.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @RokuCap,

In my opinion, I think these operations should suitable to processed in Power query.

If these files are stored in the folder, you can use folder connector to get data from that. Then you can add filters on different fields(they mean the file properties) to the filters connector result to filter not match records, and load data form remained files.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Xiaoxin. I'll give the folder connector a shot. I'm still learning Power Query so I might repost this over there. But you've given me a starting point!

RokuCap
Helper I
Helper I

Is this question better suited for the Power Query forum? If so, am I allowed to repost over there?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.