Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How do I change a 5 digit date into a dd/mm/yyyy format?

Hi all

I have imported an Excel document into PowerBI. One of the columns in the Excel document was formatted as Date (dd/mm/yyyy) in Excel. However, in PowerBI this column displays as a 5 digit number instead of a date, with a data type of Text. If I change the data type to Date from within PowerBI, I get the following error:

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value

How do I make this column show as dd/mm/yyyy, or better still, as mmm/yy?

My version of Windows is set to English UK. My version of PowerBI is set to English UK. My version of Office is set to English UK language.

I would add an image to this post but unsure how

Thanks for any and all help

Naz

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I think it happens because you do it consequently, and PBI then decided to make this changes in one and replace first type change with second.

You can check this in steps panel - you'll see only one "Changed Type" step.

To prevent PBI from collapsing this two steps in one, you can do the next just with UI, without editing script:

1. Change type of column to Whole number.
  2. Press "Fx" sign on the left to the formula bar (just above your table), then PBI makes the reference to previous step.
  3. Change type to Date
  4. Remove step 2 from steps list. It is not necessary, but preferrable

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

View solution in original post

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@hohlick wrote:

I think it happens because you do it consequently, and PBI then decided to make this changes in one and replace first type change with second.

To prevent PBI from collapsing this two steps in one, you can do the next just with UI, without editing script:

2. Press "Fx" sign on the left to the formula bar (just above your table), then PBI makes the reference to previous step.
  3. Change type to Date

Hi Hohlick, Im not sure what you mean by an 'fx' sign - there is no fx sign in PBI Desktop that I can see. I am in the Query Editor window, and can see no formula bar or fx sign. Please advise further. Cheers

Hi @ansa_naz

Please look at @Sean picture. Above first yellow frame painted on table you can see formula bar and "fx" sign

If you cannot see formula bar, in Query Editor go to "View" tab and turn this option on

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

@ansa_naz, if this header row initially goes as columns header name, there are should be no problem. If it initially goes as ordinary row and you then promote this first row as a header, then.. may be. But shouldn't

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

15 REPLIES 15

Here is detailed:

let
    src=#table({"a"},{{"42000"}}),
// next line generates error:
    Ch2DateErr = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Src,{{"a", type date}}),
// but this two lines generates date from text:
    Ch2Int = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Src,{{"a", Int64.Type}}),
    Ch2Date = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Ch2Int,{{"a", type date}})
in
    Ch2Date
Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@hohlick wrote:

Here is detailed:

let
    src=#table({"a"},{{"42000"}}),
// next line generates error:
    Ch2DateErr = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Src,{{"a", type date}}),
// but this two lines generates date from text:
    Ch2Int = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Src,{{"a", Int64.Type}}),
    Ch2Date = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Ch2Int,{{"a", type date}})
in
    Ch2Date

Hi Hohlick, I am unsure what to do with the code you have added - do I need to enter it somewhere? Cheers

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ansa_naz The date data type/format is controlled by the Locale Setting in PBI

You can change the Locale setting to match the source date format OR you can split and then reassemble the date

Check out all my responses here...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-change-the-date-format/m-p/40462#M15202

The last post on that thread shows all steps to convert dd/mm/yy to mm/dd/yy

Hope this helps!

Date Format Conversion 5.png

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi Sean, Im trying to change the date from a 5 digit number to a date format. Your response doesnt really help I dont believe?? For some reason Power BI Desktop displays a date column from an Excel sheet as a 5 digit number.

@Sean wrote:

@ansa_naz The date data type/format is controlled by the Locale Setting in PBI

You can change the Locale setting to match the source date format OR you can split and then reassemble the date

Check out all my responses here...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-change-the-date-format/m-p/40462#M15202

The last post on that thread shows all steps to convert dd/mm/yy to mm/dd/yy

Hope this helps!

Date Format Conversion 5.png

Cheers

Hi @ansa_naz,

As per my test, when we import data with Date type from Excel to Power BI Desktop, these data are displayed with Date type as expected.

However, based on your description, Power BI recognize your data with Date type in Excel as 5 digit number with Text type. It seems there are some issues with these Date columns in Excel, I would recommend you follow the instructions in this similar blog to firstly verify that if these data are defined with Date type or Text type.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Lydia wrote:

Hi @ansa_naz,

As per my test, when we import data with Date type from Excel to Power BI Desktop, these data are displayed with Date type as expected.

However, based on your description, Power BI recognize your data with Date type in Excel as 5 digit number with Text type. It seems there are some issues with these Date columns in Excel, I would recommend you follow the instructions in this similar blog to firstly verify that if these data are defined with Date type or Text type.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia, I have done what you suggested. All of the cells are of type Date. Any other ideas on what might be causing this issue? Cheers

@ansa_naz, check if your source table column contains ONLY dates. Perhaps, there are also some text data, and PBI then recognises this column as text (and there are also could be errors on some rows after converting them to dates)

Hope it could help!

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@hohlick wrote:

@ansa_naz, check if your source table column contains ONLY dates. Perhaps, there are also some text data, and PBI then recognises this column as text (and there are also could be errors on some rows after converting them to dates)

Hope it could help!

Hi Hohlick, I have checked and the only cell in that column which is not a Date type is the header row. This is a Text type as it contains the column name for the data. Would that be the issue?

@ansa_naz, if this header row initially goes as columns header name, there are should be no problem. If it initially goes as ordinary row and you then promote this first row as a header, then.. may be. But shouldn't

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

Hi Naz

try to convert 5-digit number to Integer type, then this integer - to date

May be it will help

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@hohlick wrote:

Hi Naz

try to convert 5-digit number to Integer type, then this integer - to date

May be it will help

Hi Hohlick, I tried to change the column data type to Whole Number, then to Date, but I got the same error

3. Change type to Date

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@hohlick wrote:

3. Change type to Date

Hi Hohlick, Im not sure what you mean by an 'fx' sign - there is no fx sign in PBI Desktop that I can see. I am in the Query Editor window, and can see no formula bar or fx sign. Please advise further. Cheers

Hi @ansa_naz

Please look at @Sean picture. Above first yellow frame painted on table you can see formula bar and "fx" sign

If you cannot see formula bar, in Query Editor go to "View" tab and turn this option on

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks Hohlick, thats brilliant!! Hope it helps someone else, I would never have figured that out!

@hohlick wrote:

Hi @ansa_naz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.