Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Remco1986
Helper I
Helper I

Get distinct values from multiple tables to use in filter

Hi all, I've not been able to get this working, even after trying some results from this forum.

I have a report with multiple datasets that are not related. However, there are some columns that are similair, so I would like to create a custom column with ALL values from both tables, to use in a filter.

Example, I have a set with phone statistics that includes a column 'Country'. Countries present (with duplicates on row level) are 'Netherlands' and 'Belgium'. 

Then I have a survey results dataset that also has the column 'Country'. In this data we have the countries 'Netherlands' and 'France'.

I would like to create a custom column that I can use in a filter/slicer that shows the values 'Netherlands', 'Belgium' and 'France'.

Next, I want to use this column to create a relationship with the two tables. So when I select the filter option 'Netherlands', I can see the voice stats and survey results for this country. When I select 'France' I will only see survey results and no phone stats.

Ofcourse this can be done in the 'Get Data' part by getting the Country column from each data-set, append it and remove duplicates. But I'm wondering if this can be done in a normal New Column in the report view itself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Remco1986  You have to use the new table option and there you paste the code instead of new column. 

negi007_0-1603811176562.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Remco1986 

You can create a new table and create a column like below. Below table is extracting values from 4 different columns in 4 different tables and then extracting unique values from it. Change the code as per your data.

Supplier = FILTER (
DISTINCT ( UNION ( VALUES ( Tab1[Supplier] ), VALUES ( Tab2[Supplier] ),VALUES ( Tab3[Supplier] ),VALUES ( Tab4[Supplier]) ) ),
[Supplier] <> BLANK ()
)

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

A follow-up on this one. Can I use this method to create a new table with two columns?

E.g. I want the Employee Name and Employee ID columns from different tables

Thanks, I found this similar code, however it's returning 'A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.' which is basically what I'm trying to do. Combining multiple columns with duplicate values into one column with distinct values.

I only changed the column looking as per below:

Country = FILTER(
    DISTINCT(UNION(VALUES('4 - Data (CSAT)'[Country]), VALUES('4 - Data (Voice)'[Country]))),
    [Country] <> BLANK()
)

@Remco1986  You have to use the new table option and there you paste the code instead of new column. 

negi007_0-1603811176562.png

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

Awesome, that did the trick! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors