Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TomJWhite
Frequent Visitor

Extract part of string before specific character

Hi there,

Im working with a Netflix dataset that has titles (column name [Title]) for shows like "Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Season 3: Greg and Larry (Episode 22)".

For each entry, I want to check against another column (I have a custom column [ContentType] to identify entries as being "TV" instead of "Movie"), and then if they are "TV" entries, I want to extract all characters from the string before the colon : so that I get "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". 

Whats the best way to go about this? Im still new to Power BI/Power Query so im not sure how best to accomplish this. M or DAX is fine im assuming its better to do this in power query before loading?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TomJWhite Well, in Power Query you could split the column based on the : but there is also Text.BeforeDelimiter so you could do:

if [ContentType] = "TV" then Text.BeforeDelimiter([Title],":") else [Title]

In DAX you would do something like:

Column = 
  IF(
    [ContentType] = "TV",
    LEFT([Title],SEARCH(":",[Title])-1),
    [Title]
  )

Text.BeforeDelimiter - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atillotson
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I've just tried the suggestion from you above for a similar situation but I seem to get the error 'The search Text provided to function 'SEARCH' could not be found in the given text' (see attached) but the "-" character is present (see attached).

Not sure if I am missing something - no "if" component is required because it applies to all rows in the table so just took the nested function from within. Thanks!

atillotson_0-1700563595566.png

atillotson_1-1700563612122.png

Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @TomJWhite 

Yes, M is more intuitive for text munipulation. You need to observe the data, if it is always to extract the first ":" then it is simple

Vera_33_0-1627958497285.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcirKz8/OqcxT8MvMS9UFEVYKwamJxfl5CsZWCu5FqekKiXkpCj6JRUWVChquBZnF+SmpCkZGmkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Column1],":"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TomJWhite Well, in Power Query you could split the column based on the : but there is also Text.BeforeDelimiter so you could do:

if [ContentType] = "TV" then Text.BeforeDelimiter([Title],":") else [Title]

In DAX you would do something like:

Column = 
  IF(
    [ContentType] = "TV",
    LEFT([Title],SEARCH(":",[Title])-1),
    [Title]
  )

Text.BeforeDelimiter - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.