Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Error - SQL Connection - Report Not Updated

Good morning something very curious is happening to me with the SQL connection, It is not updated, I indicate the step by step of how to replicate the error that is giving me:

1) go "Get Data>SQL Server", add the name of the "Server", add the "Database" and also in "Advanced Options" I add the SQL Query "SELECT * FROM MI_TABLA";

2) Click on the Transform Data option, and already in Power Query I observe that everything is fine and I give it "Close and Apply" and everything WORKS PERFECTLY!!

Recreating the Error:

3) I'm going to "Transform Data"

4) In the Power Query Editor I select the same generated query with the name "Query1" and give the "Advanced Editor" button and copy the generated function:

let
Source = Sql.Database("SERVER", "BDD", [Query="
SELECT

FROM
MI_TABLA
", CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 3, 0, 0)])
in
Origin

5) In the same Power Query editor I generate a "Blank Query" with the name "Query2"

6) I select the new generated query with the name "Query2" and give the "Advanced Editor" button and paste the function (the same as point 4):

let
Source = Sql.Database("SERVER", "BDD", [Query="
SELECT

FROM
MI_TABLA
", CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 3, 0, 0)])
in
Origin

7) In Power Query brings me the preview of the data and I observe that everything is fine and I give it "Close and Apply"

😎 Here the Problem THE REPORT IS NOT UPDATED

9) It stays in the option of "You have pending changes in your queries that have not been applied - Apply Changes" and does nothing else.

And as much as I give the button "Apply Changes" does nothing I still get the same answer "You have pending changes in your queries that have not been applied - Apply Changes"

NOTE: Please I am not looking for you to tell me to right-click on the "Query1" and give it the option of "Duplicate" since I have a report made with hundreds of iterations and I am being presented with this error which manages to isolate it, simplified and reach the approach indicated above.

I thank you very much if anyone has a solution to this problem.

Desktop Version: 2.102.845.0 64-bit (February 2022)

Greetings | Miguel Arias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Containnova

I am using the same version of Power BI Desktop as yours, and I applied the same operations as you (SQL, import mode, advanced option, duplicated query), but I am not experiencing the same problem as you...

yingyinr_0-1646277388683.png

yingyinr_3-1646278143747.png

Is there any other step you applied in Query2? Usually get this warning error means that you've made some changes to your Power Query queries since the last time you refreshed your report data. So Power BI Desktop displays a warning to let you know the queries and the data in your model may be out of sync.

In addition, please review the threads which have the similar problem with you. Hope they can help you.

“Pending Changes” Warning Won’t Go Away

you’re right–that’s not a very satisfying answer! But thanks for letting me know what I was up against. After reading your reply, I was a disappointed because this is not a new report I’m building. Rather, I’m updating and improving an existing report. That meant that the things I have changed recently have not been brand new steps I could simply go back and remove. The changes were scattered all through the model at various steps in several different queries. But…

After going back and reviewing the details of the situation, it seemed that the issue had something to do with my “DataStartDate” parameter that it kept referencing when I clicked “Discard changes” button. So, I went into PowerQuery, changed the three places where I was referencing that parameter to hard-coded date values, and deleted the parameter from the model. I then closed PowerQuery and applied the changes. Voila! That fixed the problem! I then went back into PowerQuery and recreated the parameter, and still no problem!

So, I think I’m back in business! Thanks for your help! It got me to look at the problem a little differently, and helped me find the solution.

PowerBI pending changes prompt

I was able to resolve this , at least it appears to be resolved. Opening the Transform Data window and simply clicking each of the query items that displayed with a yellow triangle exclamation icon fixed the issue. There wasn’t a message when hovering over the icons. Hope this helps others.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

@Syndicate_Admin Thank you very much for your answer, in the end I could not solve it and I had to do it again applying: go "Get Data>SQL Server", add the name of the "Server", add the "Database" and in "Advanced Options" I add the SQL Query "SELECT * FROM MI_TABLA" in this way if it works!

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Containnova

I am using the same version of Power BI Desktop as yours, and I applied the same operations as you (SQL, import mode, advanced option, duplicated query), but I am not experiencing the same problem as you...

yingyinr_0-1646277388683.png

yingyinr_3-1646278143747.png

Is there any other step you applied in Query2? Usually get this warning error means that you've made some changes to your Power Query queries since the last time you refreshed your report data. So Power BI Desktop displays a warning to let you know the queries and the data in your model may be out of sync.

In addition, please review the threads which have the similar problem with you. Hope they can help you.

“Pending Changes” Warning Won’t Go Away

you’re right–that’s not a very satisfying answer! But thanks for letting me know what I was up against. After reading your reply, I was a disappointed because this is not a new report I’m building. Rather, I’m updating and improving an existing report. That meant that the things I have changed recently have not been brand new steps I could simply go back and remove. The changes were scattered all through the model at various steps in several different queries. But…

After going back and reviewing the details of the situation, it seemed that the issue had something to do with my “DataStartDate” parameter that it kept referencing when I clicked “Discard changes” button. So, I went into PowerQuery, changed the three places where I was referencing that parameter to hard-coded date values, and deleted the parameter from the model. I then closed PowerQuery and applied the changes. Voila! That fixed the problem! I then went back into PowerQuery and recreated the parameter, and still no problem!

So, I think I’m back in business! Thanks for your help! It got me to look at the problem a little differently, and helped me find the solution.

PowerBI pending changes prompt

I was able to resolve this , at least it appears to be resolved. Opening the Transform Data window and simply clicking each of the query items that displayed with a yellow triangle exclamation icon fixed the issue. There wasn’t a message when hovering over the icons. Hope this helps others.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.