Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bombol
Regular Visitor

Equivalent of Calculated Item in Excel

In excel, you can create "calculated items" inside pivot tables that transcend the specific value that you are aggregating. How can you do that in Power Bi?

I.E. Let's say that you have data in excel that you pivoted, and that there are a bunch of attributes that you can put into pivot rows or columns (not important), and MORE THAN ONE VALUE by which you can compare these row/colum values (i.e. sometimes you take out "cost in $" and replace it with "units" in the values box...or you just keep them both next to each other). Now, let's say I'm analyzing the difference between years 2016 and 2015. All I have to do is 'calculate item' in the pivot table (e.g. name it 'delta'), and define delta as 2016 - 2015 (both variable choices already provided as options to choose when highlighting the 'year' field). What's great about this definition of delta is that no matter what you're summing, whether it's units or $ or rabbits, this delta holds...so if I drag anything in the values box, delta will always be 2016 - 2015 of that anything.

Question: How do you do that in Power BI? All of the posts here seem to suggest that you have to create a measure and then define what to sum. I did that, and it works, but it's very limited since it would require my creating a separate measure for each and every variable that I want to sum/subtract. I.E. I'd have to create a measure for subtracting the sum of $ of 2015 from the sum of $ of 2016, and ANOTHER measure that's just like it but for subtracting the sum of units instead of $. What I want to do is the equivalent of:

Delta = Calculate(sum(anything I put in the values field),year=2016) - calculate(sum(anything I put in the values field),year=2015)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nabil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for confirming my intuition that this currently can't be done in Power BI. Since there's work involved either way anyway, I'll just stick with creating a measure for each variable I want to sum. It's more straightforward and just involves having a bunch of idle measures, versus going in and changing column/measure formulas each time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, the matric visualization is probably as close as you get out of the box to pivot tables, and they are nowhere close to true pivot tables functionality. There may be a custom visual out there that gets closer.

In your case, you could solve the issue with 2 custom columns and a measure or 3 measures. Essentially, measures 1 and 2 or custom columns 1 and 2 are your equivalent of "Values". You base your third measure on these 2 (either the measures or the columns). Then, if you want to change things up, you just change your two custom columns or measures and your third measure acts exactly as you describe.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for confirming my intuition that this currently can't be done in Power BI. Since there's work involved either way anyway, I'll just stick with creating a measure for each variable I want to sum. It's more straightforward and just involves having a bunch of idle measures, versus going in and changing column/measure formulas each time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.