Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

FCryptoFx

ERROR: We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again.

Hello, I would like to share with you an error that I have been struggling with for a couple of weeks and I cannot understand its root, to see if someone can shed some light and help me.

I am working with a report whose data source is a Sharepoint list. My intention with this is to use the Sharepoint list version history functionality so I can create a column with this version history. To do this, I use Power Pivot with a series of transformations in which I collect the item ID, the List name and Site name of Sharepoint, with a parameter, make requests to the SharePoint API to be able to obtain this column with the version history.

(This is how I understand it is the best way to achieve my goal, if anyone knows of another easier alternative, feel free to share it).

This is how my table looks with the aforementioned transformations:

FCryptoFx_1-1716547572733.png

With these transformations done, I create the following parameter to obtain the Sharepoint version history:

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-24 124824.png

The next step I do is create a column by invoking this function with the parameters of the columns shown in the previous image.

When I do this is when I get the authentication error.

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-24 125307.png

The problem is that I don't understand why I receive this error when I can access the content of the list.

What's more, if I make the request from the browser I do receive the response correctly.

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-24 125633.png

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what's happening, but I've been reading all the information I can find about PowerBI permissions and security levels and I haven't been able to solve it.

If anyone can help me it would be a great help.

Thank you soo much for reading it.

2 REPLIES 2
v-linyulu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@FCryptoFx 

Regarding the issue you raised, my solution is as follows:

Based on the screenshot of the error message you provided, I think the main reason your problem occurs is because of lack of privileged access. This could be a permission/authentication error. When a user connects to their data source in an unauthorized account, the appropriate credentials are created.
1.First you can clear the cache by selecting credentials in powerbi desktop. As shown in the image below:

vlinyulumsft_0-1716780227573.png

vlinyulumsft_1-1716780239604.png

vlinyulumsft_2-1716780257167.png

Solved: We couldn’t authenticate with your credentials. Pl... - Microsoft Fabric Community

2.Then verify that the API key you entered in the credentials dialog is correct and that the API key you entered should not contain any extra characters or spaces. try to regenerate it and reconnect.
Here are the relevant links:
Authentication in desktop apps - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

3.Is your Power BI Desktop the latest version, if not, you can update to the latest version.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

Leroy Lu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Good morning (from Spain).

First of all, thank you very much for your response and your time.

I understand what you say about it being an authentication and/or permissions problem, but I don't understand why it doesn't let me access the API response data from powerBI Desktop but from the browser.

In reference to your response, I have not found in the links how to verify that the API key you enter is correct. I have to say that I don't use the Web API authentication method, should I?

Thank you very much again, kind regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.