Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Honne2021
Helper II
Helper II

Dynamic calculation of tenure based on selected month slicer

Hi, 

I have a data that looks like this. A person has multiple rows of data. Each event (such as promotion, hire, termination, rehire) equates to one row of data. I need to get each of their tenure and then add group/bin them accordingly.

If the current status is active then Newest Employment Date - Maximum Date based on selected slicer in the report. (if the slicer selected is Mar 2022, the max date is Mar 31 2022). Thus, Newest employment date - mar 31 2022. The max date adjusts based on the selected slicer. 

If the current status is terminated then newest employment date - termination date.
If the selected slicer is less than the termination date then use that lesser date (because technically, it makes sense that way)

Then I should group them by 0-6 Months, 1-5 years, 6-10 years and so on and by their teams as well. Result should be a table that looks like this:

0-6 Months1-5 Years6-10 years
IT1052
HR242
Total1294

Raw Data:

Newest Employment DateNew Termination DateEventCurrent StatusTeam
Anne20/03/2021 HireActiveIT
Anne20/03/202109/02/2017TerminatedActiveIT
Anne20/03/2021 RehireActiveIT

Ben19/07/202229/12/2022HireTerminatedHR
Ben19/07/202229/12/2022TerminatedTerminatedHR

Carl19/07/2022 HireActiveIT
Carl19/07/2022 PromotionActiveIT
Carl19/07/2022 Change in Job TitleActiveIT
2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Honne2021 ,

For now, the advice I can provide is to create a separate calendar table to provide filtered dates for the slicer.

The raw data provided seems a matrix visual in Power BI, right?

What does your data look like in data view in Power BI Desktop?

Please explain again how the expected results of IT and HR in the [0-6 Months] column came from, and if so, it is best to explain it based on the raw data from data view.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-stephen-msft ,

Sorry I think I wasnt clear on that. Here is a screenshot of an excel file I created to explain it clearly:

Picture1.png

 I already have a date table. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.