Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ms

Dynamic Filtering

Hi,

we are currently doing an assessment of an existing set of SAP BO reports with a view to migrate them to PowerBI.

Most of these can be migrated as per our assessment till now. However there are a few in there that are what in SAP BO is know as 'Publication'.

Let me explain: Take a use case where a manager is shown his team members who are due to complete an important training in the next 30 days. In SAP BO they have created a generic report that has ManagerName, team member name, training name,department name, training due by date etc for the entire company etc. But with the SAP BO Publication feature applied to this report, the manager sees only his team members status , not of any other employee.

How can we achieve a similar feature in PowerBI i.e create a generic report but then filter it on the loggedon user? Is this possible at all?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ms,

Based on my research, you could use the RLS function in Power BI, it can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data access at the row level, and you can define filters within roles. 

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Regards,

Daniel He 

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ms,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ms,

Based on my research, you could use the RLS function in Power BI, it can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data access at the row level, and you can define filters within roles. 

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Regards,

Daniel He 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.