Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ESS
Regular Visitor

Duration.Seconds difference between two dates

I am trying to extrapolate the seconds between two dates using the function Duration.Seconds

Duration.Seconds([taglio_data_ora_fine]-[taglio_data_ora_inizio])

in some is correct in others not, how do I solve this problem?

error.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ESS ,

I think you want to calculate the difference between two dates. You can try DATEDIFF() function in the DAX.

Column =
DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[taglio_data_ora_fine], 'Table'[taglio_data_ora_inizio], SECOND )

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ESS ,

I think you want to calculate the difference between two dates. You can try DATEDIFF() function in the DAX.

Column =
DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[taglio_data_ora_fine], 'Table'[taglio_data_ora_inizio], SECOND )

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Duration.Seconds returns the duration of seconds between two 1-60 second stamps. 

You see your first row thats displaying 54, there is 54 seconds between 57 and 51. 

I think that you can get the correct duration if you subtract the two dates and then convert the value to seconds, (*24*60*60)

Connect on LinkedIn

You can read more about the Duration functions here, but the short answer is that Duration.Seconds returns the seconds portion of any duration between two dates. 

You'll likely want to use Duration.TotalSeconds([taglio_data_ora_fine]-[taglio_data_ora_inizio]) to get the total number of seconds between the timestamps.

Gordonlilj
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

I'm not quite sure i understand, is it just the difference between seconds you're after? If so than the image you provided is showing the correct results. 

Or are you after the total duration difference in seconds between two dates? If that is the case you should try and use Duration.TotalSeconds instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.