Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s15
Helper III
Helper III

Display difference in clustered column chart

Hi all,

I'm finding a way to display difference between two values in my clustered column chat. I have a measure to calculate the difference but don't know how to integrate it to the chart.

canada.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15

You need year on the axis to achieve what you want, which is why I proposed a new data structure. 

My measure looks like this:

Population growth =

(CALCULATE(SUM(test[Population]); test[Year]=2014) / CALCULATE(SUM(test[Population]); test[Year]=2000)) - 1

See picture below. There is 2 types of visualizations. One with clustered bar and another one with clustered chart and trend line. If you hover over the columns, you'll see the population growth. 

Population growth.png

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@s15 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm finding a way to display difference between two values in my clustered column chat. I have a measure to calculate the difference but don't know how to integrate it to the chart.

canada.jpg

@s15

What is your difference measure like? You could probably put the measure to the tooltip field.

By the way, for me, I'd use a line chart. See more details in the attached pbix file.

difference =
CALCULATE (
    DIVIDE (
        SUM ( yourTable[Value] )
            - CALCULATE ( SUM ( yourTable[Value] ), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( 'calendar'[Date] ) ),
        SUM ( yourTable[Value] )
    )
)

Capture.PNG

@Eric_Zhang

I just need to display the difference of growth between year 2000 and year 2014. My dataset contains population of Canada in different years. From my example, the growth rate is 13,42% by the measure below

Difference = 1 - (SUM(Population[2000])/SUM(Population[2014]))

Displaying the difference is helpful to explain my data.

I drag and drop my measure into Tooltip but nothing changes.

difference.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15

Can you show us how you've stored your data?

@Anonymous

This is very simple like this

canada.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15

But in your plot you have sum of 2013?

Where do you get that from?

Just typo. You don't have to worry about the year. It is my typo. I just want to display the growth rate in clustered chart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15

If you have this data structure:

Year   Population Country

2000  10000000  Canada

2014  20000000  Canada

You can use this visual: Line & Clustered column chart. Then just plot the according values.

With this data set, how is your measure look like? I want to divide population in 2000 by 2014 @Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15

You need year on the axis to achieve what you want, which is why I proposed a new data structure. 

My measure looks like this:

Population growth =

(CALCULATE(SUM(test[Population]); test[Year]=2014) / CALCULATE(SUM(test[Population]); test[Year]=2000)) - 1

See picture below. There is 2 types of visualizations. One with clustered bar and another one with clustered chart and trend line. If you hover over the columns, you'll see the population growth. 

Population growth.png

Can I have the "20%" display somewhere on the chart?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can drag the card visual on top of the clustered bar chart and then push it to front. But, to my knowledfe, there isn't the type of integration, which you are asking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s15 Did we solve your problem?

No it is not. Could you please show your screenshot? The chart that @Eric_Zhang is very hard to understand.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors