Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query - related function

Hi Expert

i cannot get my related table calculated column to work when using direct query in my Power Bi model.. Is this possible? or is there a work around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to http://dax.guide/related, RELATED is supported in DirectQuery:

daxer_0-1623237176400.png

RELATEDTABLE, on the other hand, works only in measures in DirectQuery:

daxer_1-1623237233939.png

So, if you can't get it to work in the right context, it means you're doing something wrong.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kmcaloon

RELATED is not supported with limited relationships.   see Microsoft Documentation limited relationships 

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to http://dax.guide/related, RELATED is supported in DirectQuery:

daxer_0-1623237176400.png

RELATEDTABLE, on the other hand, works only in measures in DirectQuery:

daxer_1-1623237233939.png

So, if you can't get it to work in the right context, it means you're doing something wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

that is what i cannot work out. Exchnage rate table relationship to FACT table is store id to store id.Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

error message when using related

Capture.PNG

I get the same all the time as well.  The workaround would be a calculated column in your target table (FactSalesOrderTable):

Exchange Rate =
CALCULATE (
AVERAGE ( 'ExchangeRate'[Exchange Rate] ),
FILTER (
'ExchangeRate',
'ExchangeRate'[Currency] = 'FACTSalesOrderTable'[Currancy]
&& 'ExchangeRate'[OtherColumn] = 'FACTSalesOrderTable'[OtherColumn]
))

It basically works like an averageifs funtion in Excel. Can also be used with a sum for a sumifs.  

It's not the best idea as it's ressource intensive and slow, as mentioned below, but this will get the job done. And not too bad if you've got limited data in your fact table. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RELATED needs a row context to work. Do you have a row context when you use this function above? I can't even tell from what you posted what it is you're trying to achieve...

Are you maybe trying to add the rate to each row in the fact table by creating a calculated column? That would be a VERY BAD IDEA.

Hi - i know this topic is old, but can you elaborate on why this would be so bad?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.