Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Peter_Jeyaraj_I
Helper II
Helper II

Derive Column based on Slicer selection

Hi All, 

I want to change the dimension selection in a chart based on the slicer filter in POwer bi.. For ex.. i have a mapping with 2 different description per language like below

Capture.PNG

& i created a language table with 1 column called "language" with the contents "english" and "danish". 

Now, my request here is that if i select english then my chart will show the info based on fail_category column else "fail_category_D" column.. 

I tried with selectedvalue function and other options but nothing works.. Please help to rectify this issue & let me know if you need any more details.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thank you.. i created the many to many releationship by using the bridge table. 

this way i created the relationship b/w my transaction to fail code mapping with duplicate entries ( 1 entry for eng and 1 entry for danish).  that solved my issue.. 

more details refer below link

https://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/join-many-many-power-bi/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Peter_Jeyaraj_I,

We can use bookmark to work around. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

I made one sample for your reference.

bookmark1.PNGbookmark2.PNG

Attached the pbix as well.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

thank you.. i created the many to many releationship by using the bridge table. 

this way i created the relationship b/w my transaction to fail code mapping with duplicate entries ( 1 entry for eng and 1 entry for danish).  that solved my issue.. 

more details refer below link

https://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/join-many-many-power-bi/

Hi @Peter_Jeyaraj_I,

That's cool, Kindly mark your answer as a solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
BobBI
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Peter,

how your language table is connected with base data table. , there can also achieve this using this approach.

Name of the table is Date(2) .

- Unpivot your table for Fail_Category and Fail_category_D

- create measure 'Count' = COUNT('Data (2)'[Value])

- drag object 'Value' to Axis and measure Count into Value

Slicer :

Create slicer using 'Value' field.  ( you can change the name for category to english and Danish if needed)

data.JPGunpivot.JPGoutput.JPG 

Hope this helps

SS

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Peter_Jeyaraj_I Could you please post your expected output as well ? If possible sample data that can be copied. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Here below i shared the sample screenshot

I have 3 different tables

1. Master ( Countof Failures measure available here )

2. Fail_Mapping ( Fail category & fail category d columns available here)

3. Language ( Lang field )

If i select english then the chart has to show the failures count by fail category 

If i select danish then the chart has to show the failures by fail category d. Hope this helps

Capture1.PNG

@Peter_Jeyaraj_I Here is the steps I've followed to solve this..

Create a new calculated table from your main table as below:

Test21ChartNew = UNION(
                        SELECTCOLUMNS(Test21Chart,"Code",[Code],"FailCategory",[FailCategory])
                       ,SELECTCOLUMNS(Test21Chart,"Code",[Code],"FailCategory",[FailCategory_D]) 
                      )

The output will be as :

image.png

Similary, create a lookup table as below

Test21ChartSlicer = DISTINCT(
                UNION(
                        SELECTCOLUMNS(Test21Chart,"Language","English","FailCategory",Test21Chart[FailCategory])
                        ,SELECTCOLUMNS(Test21Chart,"Language","Danish","FailCategory",Test21Chart[FailCategory_D])
                    )
                )  

This will be result to as below:

image.png

Now make sure these two tables have relationship on FailCategory field. That's it, now you have your output as expected.

image.pngimage.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Thanks for your response. 

but i need to maintain the unique values in fail code table as i have code - code relationship b/w master table( kind of transaction table) and fail code table. 

that is the reason why i created new columns to accomadate other language values. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.