Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

marcmen
Helper I
Helper I

Dateadd interval by numerical column

Hi all, I have a form that I am trying to graph in Power BI.  The form contains a start date field (Date Selector) and a numerical entry field called Amortization for the duration and I would like to calculate an end date (months) based on that number. My issue is that I cannot figure out how to get DATEADD to accept the values from the Amortization field.

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @MarcMendez ,

I do not fully understand the structure of the table "", but you can use the below DAX to create a calculated column:

Amortization End Date = 
DATEADD( 'AOP'[Project Start Date] , 'AOP'[Hardware Amortization (Months)] , MONTH )

Based on the sample data the following screenshot shows the result:

image.png

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @MarcMendez ,

I do not fully understand the structure of the table "", but you can use the below DAX to create a calculated column:

Amortization End Date = 
DATEADD( 'AOP'[Project Start Date] , 'AOP'[Hardware Amortization (Months)] , MONTH )

Based on the sample data the following screenshot shows the result:

image.png

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens -thank you for this. You cannot understand the table structure because there is none 😁. This PBX is a brain dump at the moment  - I need to rebuild it. 

@TomMartens  - I just realized that the DAX provided does not add to the date  -  it duplicates the start date only. Any thoughts? 

MarcMendez

@TomMartens  - thanks for the response. 

The PBX can be found here Annual Operating Plan Dashboard Draft.pbix

At this time, I am looking to be able to calculate an end date for the amortization fields. For example

[Project Start Date] + [Hardware Amortization (Months)] = Amortization End Date. 

[Hardware List Price] / [Hardware Amortization (Months)] = Monthly Cost 

Once I have the end date, I plan on duplicating the process for each amortized category, hopefully allowing me to create year-end rollups and a schedule based on another article I have read.

I appreciate your help

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @marcmen ,

please provide a pbix that contains some sample data. Upload the pbix to onedrive or dropbox and share the link. Describe the expected result based on the sample data you provided.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.