Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

fyrworx
Frequent Visitor

Data type format in Query editor

Hi,

I know that we can change the format of the data type in under the modelling tab in power bi.

I was wondering if we could change the format in the query editor. This will save me a lot of time.

This is the example:

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns2",{{"TnA_Start Time", type time}, {"TnA_Start Break", type time}, {"TnA_Stop Break", type time}, {"TnA_End Time", type time}})

I am able to get the time with the the format HH: MM: SS AM/PM but I want to be able to format it so that it just shows HH:MM?

Is this possible and how do I put it in the DAX query?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is the number format and the display format. The query editor only sets the number format. Display formatting is immature in Power bi. You could potentially use a text pattern representing HHMM if you wanted 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There is the number format and the display format. The query editor only sets the number format. Display formatting is immature in Power bi. You could potentially use a text pattern representing HHMM if you wanted 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks, that is exactly what I need though!

It would help so much in terms of creating models based on previous work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.