Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fyrworx
Frequent Visitor

Data type format in Query editor

Hi,

I know that we can change the format of the data type in under the modelling tab in power bi.

I was wondering if we could change the format in the query editor. This will save me a lot of time.

This is the example:

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns2",{{"TnA_Start Time", type time}, {"TnA_Start Break", type time}, {"TnA_Stop Break", type time}, {"TnA_End Time", type time}})

I am able to get the time with the the format HH: MM: SS AM/PM but I want to be able to format it so that it just shows HH:MM?

Is this possible and how do I put it in the DAX query?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is the number format and the display format. The query editor only sets the number format. Display formatting is immature in Power bi. You could potentially use a text pattern representing HHMM if you wanted 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There is the number format and the display format. The query editor only sets the number format. Display formatting is immature in Power bi. You could potentially use a text pattern representing HHMM if you wanted 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks, that is exactly what I need though!

It would help so much in terms of creating models based on previous work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.