Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data source change error: "Loading blocked by failures with other queries"

Hello all,

I have a powerbi model which connected to "A" database. It has both import and direct-query modes.
Now I need to change this data source to "B" database which has same structure ( you can think like A=test B=live)

When I change datasource for each table it starts "Evaluating" then "Waiting for other queries" state as expected.

But when all tables' state become "Waiting for other queries" it throws an error : "Loading blocked by failures with other queries"

I searched but I couldn't find proper solution.

How can I keep data model and change source without an error?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Im not certain which reasons cause this, did you have access to database B or whether there are other queries in it expect A and B or any other scenarios? Could you share more detail like how you change the data source and so on for further discussion?

I have change the data source in this way in my environment and it seems ok, perhaps you can try it:

Power Query Editor -> Data source settings -> Change data source

change data source.png

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

I had this issue. What it turned out to be for me was I'd changed the names and targets of a bunch of parameters I'd used to refer to locations in Windows Explorer. Once I took out the old ones it worked fine. Not sure what that was about. Perhaps there were two pointing at the same target or something????
Anyway, it works now.

Matt

JRut

I tried shortening the table name and redid the steps just to cross check if I messed up something earlier. It worked.

PBINewbie1308

this can also be the directory path is too long I resolved by shortenting the path

PBINewbie1308

This can also be a simple fact that the directory titles are too long. I have just solved my issue by clicking on the error and i could see that the directory path was way too long. 

Resolved by shortening the path.

Muthu-Raja
Regular Visitor

Using Power Query editior can resolve this error,

First we need understand what is the error, we have to identify the missing part eaither it could be any column missing in latest report it was there in previouse the lates report not there mostly this is the major issue.

while transforming data to power BI the power query will record the data and save those steps as you can see in right side , like date type chenge, column removed, colum type changed, Now here is the actual challenge you have to identify the issue and resolve here,

Ex:- ive created one working file uploading some data to PowerBI now im tranforming the data, here im changing the column 2 as date and column 1 as text and delete column 3 and 4 this steps are recorded and saved,

Now the next day im refreshing updated data but i did some modification in data sheet.

what i did ? deleting column 3 and 4 and im refreshing,

what will happen?while tranforming data the power query recorded steps will check the conditions ,if column 3 and 4 not available the power Query will not allow to refresh the data.

Then how to resolve this issue ?

Solution here :- go to power query editor remove the recorded steps like above mention steps "delete column 3 and 4" 

now power bi will allow to refresh the data.

i hope you accecpt this solution

ImranIsmaili

Hello

I changed the source but still get the same error - can you help somehow?

ImranIsmaili_0-1652335555815.png

polymathy2017
Advocate III
Advocate III

I was struggling with the same issue. I tried the solution presented herein by resetting the datasource connections for each query in my model. It didn't work and it didn't give any indication to the source of the problem.

I then went to the field list and refreshed each query individually via right click/refresh. For whatever reason, it worked. (I didn't discover this on my own, so I can't take credit, but I didn't see this solution here so I'm posting for others who may be close to pulling out their hair just as I was). 

this worked! Thank you!

jxw493

I have the same error message. I changed a column heading in the data source, an excel file. Since then, the error message would say The field "xxx" column is missing. Then I added a dummy column with that heading. But the messages read like this: 

jxw493_0-1608177849975.png

I have a lot of calculated measures. How can I fix this without having to re-build the dashboard? Help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Im having the same error message. I've updated my most recent power BI file, downloaded R, and reviewed the data.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Im not certain which reasons cause this, did you have access to database B or whether there are other queries in it expect A and B or any other scenarios? Could you share more detail like how you change the data source and so on for further discussion?

I have change the data source in this way in my environment and it seems ok, perhaps you can try it:

Power Query Editor -> Data source settings -> Change data source

change data source.png

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You are a life saver Yingjie Li, thanks a million man. This happened after i installed new version of Power BI desktop, it somehow changed datasource connections and now with your solution it is fixed.

Hi,

in this error happens when we remove a column from a table only, when we forget removing the same column(s) from the syntax that we wrote. So, if we delete those columns from the syntax that we removed from the table, you will not see the error again. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thanks for your answer @v-yingjl 

I figured out that two tables are not loaded properly and it produces conflict when change data source.
I find and deleted those tables and worked properly as you suggest.

Greetings,

Yeah, but how to debug that?
How to find those tables? 

Where can I see the logs? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.