Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Data View column order change

Data view: I made a couple of calculated columns.  They were added to the right, in the order column.

I then realized that a couple original columns (originally on the left) should be modeled as currency (they were just whole numbers).

This has moved those 2 columns to the far right, to the right of the calculated columns.

I see no way to return them to their original position, or to rearrange column order at all in Data View.....based on searching Q&A.  But given there is a new release every month am wondering if this is still true?

www.CahabaData.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion
19 REPLIES 19
SamuelAB
Frequent Visitor
seline122

Not sure if it helps, but what I usually do is, I click on "enter Data" (manual data entry). I copy & past the heathers in the order I want to have it and then close manual data entry. This creates a new table with the correct column order I can use as a "template". 

I then just append the other table (with incorrect order) with the this new table (template). Just ensure that you append the incorrect order table to the correct one.

It is not as straight forward as one would like to have it, but for me it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CahabaData @Sean @Alirezam @CodySydney 

Use the function 'SELECTCOLUMNS' to create a copy of the original table and reorder the columns in it.

This is how you use it:

SELECTCOLUMNS(<OriginalTableName>, "<Column1NewName>", <Column1OriginalName>, "<Column2NewName>", <Column2OriginalName> ............)

Your "this is how you use it" explanation is too brief. I presume, though you don't say that this is a non-destructive technique. Is it? Also, after it has been used what do you have? Do you have a new table containing all the columns and formulae that were in the original, that's what I'd want, or a table with the results of any formulae/calculations/lookups in the orginal table but, now, no formulae? Do you now have two tables where there was one? Do you then delete the original? Hide the original? You beg a lot of questions. Also, where does one enter this code? In the PQ layer?

No answer yet to a function which should be easily solved by developers. The possibility of rearranging columns in the dataview helps tremendously in the development of solutions!!!

ripstaurVA

It is unbelievable, if not unexpected. Microsoft has a long tradition of putting stuff out on the street before it's ready. Users have been complaining since the late '80s that paying customers have to be beta testers. A feature like this should have been a no-brainer for developers, and there is no excuse for its sitting in the ideas (bugs) queue for more than a day or two. What is the point of this exercise, if no action is ever taken by MS on these ideas? 

Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

We need a solution... Select and drag column woud do it...

danielgergely
Advocate II
Advocate II

I found a sollution. It is quite wierd, but it works.

Remove columns in Power Query view. save and apply changes. Then go back to power Query view, delete the removed Columns Steps in the desired order, and then your columns in Data view will be reordered. 

Data view shows the last changed column last. That is the basic concept behind this trick.

Check out this link for more details:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54354205/trying-to-reorder-columns-in-data-view-in-power-bi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

It is extremely stupid way, but it is working - i found it by accident:

1. In edit query view remove the column, then save changes. You will see that in data view that column was removed as well.
  2. Now again in edit query view remove from applied steps the action that removed the column. Save it again.
  3. You will see that removed previously column was added to the end of the table.
  4. This way you can arrange your columns to have it the way you want it in data view.

Hope it helped.

Haha! Good lateral thinking 🙂  I have just learned to live with it.  The Power BI team keeps introducing brilliant new features so I can't complain much about the odd annoyance.

Ale
Resolver II
Resolver II

Not implemented yet? Almost 2019 and I still can't reorder my columns in Data View.

We're at 2020 now and still now action on this. What up MS?

And now it is 2019 and I am still trying to associate values on one side of my data table to the other rather than having them nice and close which would make contextual sense.

rblackford
Advocate II
Advocate II

Why is this marked as "Solved"? There is clearly no solution, just a reply indicating that they've posted this as an "idea".

Anonymous
Not applicable

It still is.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is really annoying. I changed my headers to try to force Power Bi to display my fields in the same order as in the source file iand all it accomplished was to keep related columns together. But Q45 is at the top and... you get the idea. Total chaos. This adds a lot of unnecessary work to the simple task of assembling visuals from a table with a lot of columns and it seems to be something that could be fixed by just not changing the order of columns from the source (or at least making it an option)! 

And this is April 2021 still unsolved...I really don't think the feedback system in Power Bi works!

oh my - - did see old Q&A on this topic - - just thought I would check.....

I will hazard the guess that Data View isn't perceived as important in that all the action is up in Visuals....but this lack of column rearrangement sure makes the initial modeling/transform more difficult to the BI designer first discovering the data set that we're working with......

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.