Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ctmullins
Frequent Visitor

Data Modeling defaults

Hello all,

I am frustrated by the unfriendly way PowerBI enforces its own default behaviors.

Specifically, I want for PowerBI to NEVER NEVER NEVER automatically Summarize any of my columns.  NEVER.  It's incredibly wasteful of my time to constantly have to go click, field by field, and choose "Don't Summarize".  This should be configurable somewhere.  Is it?  I didn't see it in the Options anywhere.  Is there a Registry hack perhaps?

Similarly, I'm constantly annoyed at having to change the default Date format to Short date.  Every time.  Field by field.  It's hugely inefficient.  Maddening even.  Is there a way to set this permanently, once and for all, for everything I create from this day forward?

Hoping for a miracle,

2 REPLIES 2
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

If you go to the modeling tab, you can select all of the fields that you want to change, then in the Advanced options of properties turn Summarize by to none. I know, still not ideal, but much better than having to do them one by one.

There is also a solution in this post that explains how to use Tabular Editor to turn of teh default summarization: How-to turn off summarization on all table columns... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ctmullins - there are option to discourage explicit measures.  However, I think you need to try using c# functionality in Tabular Editor 2.0 or (3.0 if you have licence) to automate your Power BI Developer Experience.

Try the following video to get started: 

(1) PowerBI.Tips - Tutorial - Intro to Tabular Editor - YouTube

And these for documentation and automation scripts.

Useful script snippets | Tabular Editor Documentation
GitHub - TabularEditor/Scripts: Community repository for sharing and discussing scripts for use with...

There are other GitHub respository that can consider to speed up your changes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.